If you’re unlucky enough to suffer with regular migraines that make you want to curl up in a dark room and avoid all light and noise, chances are you’ve already spent a good proportion of your time Googling how best to relieve them.
Unfortunately, there’s currently no cure for migraines, but new research suggests eating a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids could help by reducing their frequency.
The small study published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) involved 182 people who suffered migraines on five to 20 days a month and found that eating more of the polyunsaturated fatty acids could slash the debilitating headaches by two to four per month.
Omega-3s have also been linked to lower blood pressure, better heart health and a reduction in issues like depression and anxiety – but the tricky thing is that our body can’t produce them from scratch.
Omega-3 benefits for migraines – how to get fatty acids
For this reason, we need to ensure we’re getting enough of them from dietary sources. Here are a handful to consider…
1. Look to fish
According to the NHS, we should all aim to eat two portions of fish each week, including one of oily fish. Oily fish, such as salmon, mackerel, anchovies and sardines contain good amounts of EPA and DHA – long-chain, omega-3 fatty acids.
When you eat these kinds of fish, your body synthesises compounds called resolvins and protectins from marine fatty acid. These important compounds can reduce chronic inflammation in the body, which scientists say is the genesis for many diseases and health conditions.
Fatty fish needn’t be expensive addition to your diet either, as you can easily add tinned varieties to salads and sandwiches.
2. Sprinkle some flaxseeds
You don’t have to eat seafood to access dietary Omega-3. While, EPA and DHA mainly come from animal foods, ALA is another kind that’s mostly found in plants.
Flaxseeds are a powerful plant-based source of ‘good’ fats that can deliver health benefits. They’re great stirred into porridge, added to smoothies or sprinkled onto a vegan power bowl.
3. Snack on walnuts
Walnuts are another dietary source of ALA that many people overlook. They’re great on their own as an afternoon snack, or you can smash and sprinkle them over salads, yoghurt or even stews and bolognaises.
Walnuts can often be expensive but shop around at budget supermarkets like Lidl, Aldi and Asda who sell packs of nuts at a much cheaper price than many health food stores.
4. Take a daily supplement
If you’re vegan or vegetarian, it’s worth noting that the body has to convert the ALA from nuts and seeds into EPA and DHA through a chain of chemical reactions to bestow the same health benefits as fish varieties.
Unfortunately, this process isn’t as effective as consuming omega-3 directly from animal sources, as studies suggest that most people convert a small amount (less than 10%) of the ALA they eat into EPA and DHA.
For this reason, you might want to consider supplementing to ensure you’re getting enough. Traditional omega-3 supplements are made with fish oil, but there are lots of vegan varieties on the market that contain flaxseed oil, marine algae and seaweed instead.
Best-selling Omega-3 supplements
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- ✔ WHY NUTRAVITA'S OMEGA 3 FISH OIL? - Our Omega 3 Fish Oil is naturally sourced from the rich waters of the Peruvian Coast. The oils are then distilled for increased purity to deliver the highest...
- ✔ WHY OMEGA 3? - Each recommended daily dose of our premium grade Omega 3 Fish Oil supplement delivers high potency Essential Fatty Acids - Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)...
- ✔ CONVENIENT WAY TO TAKE OMEGA 3 - These Essential Fatty Acids play critical roles in maintaining healthy eyes, heart and brain functions but cannot be produced by the body or sufficiently obtained...
- ★ HIGHEST PURITY: 2000mg Fish Oil per serving (2 capsules) 660mg EPA and 440mg DHA. Up to 3 times the strength of other brands. 440mg of DHA meets the recommended intake of all Omega 3 studies
- ★ MULTIPLE BENEFITS: EPA & DHA found in Super Strength Omega 3 Fish Oil supports normal heart and brain function, maintains normal vision & contributes to the maintenance of normal blood pressure
- ★ 2 MONTHS SUPPLY: Incredible value for money. Our 120 Super Strength Omega 3 Fish Oil gives you two months supply
- ✔ 100% VEGAN & VEGETARIAN CAPSULES - Get your Omega-3 from nature's pure and original source: Algae — it's got all the benefits of Omega-3 fish oils without the fish and is completely plant-based....
- ✔ 400MG OMEGA-3 DHA PER SERVING - The European Food Safety Authority recommends a minimum daily intake of 250 mg. Get your daily dose easily and conveniently with two high strength capsules, which...
- ✔ MANY HEALTH BENEFITS - Omega-3 supports heart, brain & eye health, battles inflammation and supports a healthy pregnancy. Enjoy these benefits without the worry of harmful ingredients as our...
- 30 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - If you're not 100% satisfied with your order, simply return it unopened for 100% no hassle refund.
- BUY THREE SAVE 10% - We love our customers and want them to love us too. Buy any 3 or more products and save 10% at checkout.
- HIGH STRENGTH OMEGA 3 FISH OIL - Highest level of purity so all our customers including pregnant women and children can rest assured.
- Omega 3 is a rich source of good, healthy fats which are essential to maintain a balanced diet. Omega 3 can be difficult to find it in the diet alone as it can only be absorbed by eating large...
- Each capsule contains 1,000mg of fish oil, of which 330mg is EPA and 220mg is DHA. Suitable for anyone looking to increase their Omega 3 intake.
- EPA and DHA contributes to normal functioning of the heart. DHA contributes to maintenance of normal brain function and normal vision. DHA and EPA together contribute to the maintenance of normal...
Last update on 2021-07-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API