The spring/summer fashion season is upon us, and while it might not be warm enough to bust out the shorts and sandals yet, it’s fun to look ahead to the outfits we’ll be wearing soon, inspired by the SS22 catwalks.
It’s also time to get excited about all the hot new hair and make-up looks created backstage at the shows, and how we can work them with our wardrobe this season.
The biggest spring beauty trends
From retro-inspired tresses to edgy eyeliner and dramatic lipstick, these are the top trends to know about now…
1. Y2K hair
Back in the early 2000s when GHD hair straighteners first hit the scene, glossy, poker-straight hair was all anyone wanted.
Models at Stella McCartney, Chanel and ‘Fendace’ (the Fendi-Versace collaboration show) rocked Y2K locks with, of course, a middle parting (side partings are so 2010s)
2. Noughties make-up
Noughties-inspired clothing was massive on the SS22 runways and so was make-up from the era, with metallic eyeshadow at Anna Sui and Tom Ford, and shimmery lips at KNWLS.
High-shine gloss was another 2000’s throwback, slicked on models’ pouts at Victoria Beckham, Dolce & Gabbana and Blumarine.
Hair stylists got creative backstage at the shows, crafting all kinds of cool twists and plaits.
There were long, rope-like braids at Erdem, face-framing baby braids at Altuzarra, and pigtail twists at Rejina Pyo.
4. Dramatic eyeliner
The make-up equivalent of the LBD, razor-sharp feline flicks adorned eyes at Givenchy, Dior, Valentino and more.
At the Chanel haute couture show, a dramatic double wing was created with a combination of eye pencil and shadow, while Giambattista Valli took it one step further with a triple liner look.
5. Hair accessories
It’s not just about how to style your hair this spring, it’s about how you accessorise it.
Take your cue from Versace with a Nineties-style headscarf, or select a bold floral corsage like the ones seen at Rixo and Yuhan Wang. Add sparkle to an up-do by stacking a bunch of bejewelled clips and slides, like models at Simone Rocha.
6. Art attack
Not necessarily a trend you’ll want to recreate exactly as seen on the catwalks, colourful, avant-garde make-up made a splash at several shows.
Nars make-up artist James Kaliardos created incredible starburst-shaped designs at Rodarte, there were rainbow motifs at Paul & Joe, and neon ears (yes, ears) at Chet Lo.
The placement of these uber-brights might be a bit much for everyday wear, but a sunset-hued smoky eye or wash of fuchsia blush will elevate your summer look.
7. Grunge glam
A distinct contrast to all that summery colour, some designers went to the dark side for spring, with smudgy smoky eyes and heavily stained lips.
Deep berry-toned lips with a glossy finish gave us grungy-glam vibes at Supriya Lele, Coach and Mark Fast.
Best-selling beauty products
Fancy updating your makeup bag? Check out our list of best-selling beauty products on Amazon.
- Advanced anti-frizz formula leaves hair super glossy, glassy, ultra smooth
- Groundbreaking humidity-blocking technology stops moisture from wrecking your style
- Ultra-light spray feels like nothing is on the hair
- MAKEUP SPONGE SET: This beauty sponge set includes 4 different shapes of macaron gradient color beauty blender, including 2pcs oblique olive shape, 1pcs drop shape, 1pcs oblique drop shape, and 1pcs...
- BLENDER SPONGE: The blender beauty sponge is made from Hydrophilic non-latex to reduce allergies. The makeup sponge has uniform pores to make the beauty sponge feel more delicate and soft, enhance the...
- WET & DRY USE: This makeup sponge is easy to use and easy to clean, beauty blender is available for wet and dry use. After being completely wetted, the blender sponge becomes larger, elastic, and not...
- 【FREATECH Shampoo Brush (1st Gen)】 It was created as a game changer for shampooing, which perfectly replaces the finger operation and allows you to enjoy the head spa during the hair and scalp...
- 【100% Food-grade Silicone Teeth】 Really hygienic and safe. Gentle spikes effectively scrub the scalp without scratching, which are flexible enough to move through the hair without tangling or...
- 【Ergonomic Design】 The mouse-like handle fits your palm perfectly, non-slip grooves ensure a stable grip even in the shower. The concave brush surface formed by 25 tips fits the scalp for maximum...
- Have A Real Good Scrub - The Temple Spring Shower Mittens deeply cleanse and exfoliate your skin – Suitable for all skin types.
- Natural Body Scrub Gloves - Our bamboo bath gloves are natural and breathable unlike most polyester versions.
- Deep clean with a thicker texture – Regular exfoliation washes away dead surface cells while boosting circulation and encouraging skin cell rejuvenation for silky smooth & radiant skin
- ♥Multiple uses of towel headband:When you wash your face,make up,apply mask,you can cover your hair with a towel headband,and don't let naughty hair affect your movements.When you exercise and...
- ♥Use and cleaning methods:You can wash gently with soap or washing powder,or machine wash.You must first put the hair band on the neck and then pull up until the hair is wrapped.
- ♥Our towel headband:made of polyester towel fabric,soft and delicate,hair band width is moderate,both breathable and comfortable,hair can be directly into the hair band,convenient and beautiful.
Last update on 2023-11-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This article may include affiliate links to products and services where we may receive a small fee to support the running of this site if you make a purchase or is a sponsored article from one of our select editorial partners providing valuable advice and information to our readers.