If you’ve got small or hooded eyes then makeup can be tricky. A sultry smoky shadow that looks amazing on almond-shaped eyes can make narrow eyes appear even smaller, and black eyeliner is very difficult to get right.
But that doesn’t mean you have to give up on bold eye make-up entirely. Just ask Jennifer Lawrence who has hooded eyelids but doesn’t shy away from a smoky eye.
7 makeup tips to make small eyes look bigger
By following a few do’s and don’ts you can optimise your eye shape. Here, celebrity make-up artist and Collection ambassador Francesca Neill talks us through her seven top tips for faking big eyes…
1. Do use concealer on your lids
“Dark circles can really make your eyes appear smaller and draw the face down. Apply a colour correcting concealer, such as Collection Lasting Perfection Colour Correcting Concealer in Lemon.
“Use both underneath and around your eyes to brighten the eye area and balance out dark purple tones.”
Collection Lasting Perfection Colour Correcting Concealer, Amazon.
2. Do line your waterline in white
“Create the illusion of bigger eyes by gently running a nude or white eye pencil against your waterline. This extends the whites in your eyes making them look bolder and brighter.”
Barry M Cosmetics Bold Waterproof Eyeliner in White, Amazon.
3. Do highlight the inner corner
“Once you’ve applied your eyeliner, work a shimmery shadow into the inner corner. By highlighting the inner corner, eyes will instantly appear wider and brighter.”
Max Factor Wild Shadow Eye Shadow in 65 Defiant White, Amazon.
4. Do give your brows an arch
“Eyebrows frame the face and draw attention to your eyes so it’s important to complement them with flattering brows.
“Tweeze away any stray hairs, lightly fill any gaps with a brow pencil that matches your natural hair colour and use a clear brow gel to brush your brows and set them neatly into place.”
Barry M Cosmetics Take A Brow Clear Brow Gel, Amazon.
5. Don’t line the lower waterline with black
“Dark colours will shade in the eye area, making the width and height of your eye appear much smaller.
As above, you should “Opt for a nude or white liner to make the eyes open up.”
Rimmel London Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in shade 5 Nude, Amazon.
6. Don’t use too much dark eyeshadow
“Using a dark eyeshadow all over your lids can make the shape of your eyes less noticeable.
“If you’re going to use dark shadows then make sure to use concealer or a cotton bud to define your eye area.”
Max Factor Masterpiece Nude Palette Contouring Eye Shadows, Amazon.
7. Don’t use the wrong mascara for your eye-shape
“Small eyes really benefit from a lengthening mascara which is made with fibres that extend the lashes and make the eyes pop.
“Those with bigger eyes should look for mascaras that add volume to their lashes such as Collection Volumising Mascara which is perfect for a full-lash look.”
Killer Lashes Mascara Black and Ultimate Fibre Lash Extender, Amazon.
Makeup tutorial for small eyes
You may also be interested in…
Best-selling eyeshadow palettes equipment
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- SEPROFE Eyeshadow Palette is inspired by woman´s feminine, created with ingredients of the highest quality and the most updated ultra-micronized, luxuriously pigmented waterproof eyeshadow cream...
- Warm Natural Bronze Chocolate Color Smoky Eyeshadow, it is in golden and browns for shimmery natural and dramatic glamour looks. Choose from every finish imaginable. We're giving you infinite new ways...
- This waterproof eye shadow set with natural moisturizing factors, will give you a long lasting and flawless makeup. The material of every pigmented are made for natural and harmless.You will love the...
- The LAMORA EXPOSED Eyeshadow Palette is inspired by woman´s feminine and gentle side – Created with ingredients of the highest quality and the most updated ultra-micronized, luxuriously pigmented...
- A HARMONY OF LUSTROUS HUES in rose golden and royally dark browns for shimmery natural and dramatic glamour looks. Choose from every finish imaginable. We're giving you infinite new ways to get...
- PERFECT FOR THE EVERYDAY GIRL, SPECIAL EVENTS or occasions. Use shimmery highlights and refine the look for an unforgettable evening. Eyeshadow base or eyelid primer will help to get the true colors...
- Luxuriously pigmented colours to deliver a long-lasting effect
- Various shades palette for your long-wearing experience
- Available in nude, smokey, blush and colour
- Revolution Eye Shadow Palette
- Palette with 16 high-performance eyeshadows, A selection of flattering warm, neutral colours at your fingertips
- Choice of matte, satiny, subtle shimmer and metallic finishes, Buildable colour: sheer and translucent to intense and opaque, For on-trend day or night looks
- Apply in layers for more pigmentation, Use with primer to enhance colour payoff and staying power, Metallic best applied wet
Last update on 2022-03-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Wise Living Magazine has included affiliate links to products and services in this article where we may receive a small fee to support the running of this site if you make a purchase.