Welcome to the celebration of British Tomato Fortnight! Here in the UK, our affection for the ‘tom’ is unparalleled. According to the British Tomato Growers’ Association, we devour approximately half a million tonnes of these juicy delights every year. In tomato terms, that’s the equivalent of relishing two classic British tomatoes weekly, which adds up to over 100 per year.
Interestingly, about one-fifth of these tomatoes, we so heartily enjoy are proudly grown on our home soil. British tomatoes have long been celebrated for their flavour, primarily because the varieties are handpicked based on taste rather than mere durability. Since they’re locally sold, they can spend more time on the vine, soaking up all the sun and nutrients they can to bring you the most flavourful bite.
But it’s not just about taste. Tomatoes are packed with health benefits – they’re bursting with nutrition that bolsters immunity, promotes heart health, and may even protect against certain types of cancer.
Here are some of our favourite tomato recipes to celebrate our homegrown toms’ brilliance.
This tomato, bread and cheese pudding makes for a warming pick-me-up, perfect for autumn.
Food writer Mark Diacono shows us how delicious fermented foods can be. This fermented cherry tomato recipe is simple and tasty
These colourful fritters make the perfect breakfast or brunch dish. Use sweet Isle of Wight cherry vine tomatoes for extra flavour.
Muffins don’t have to be sweet to be delicious. Try these savoury cheese and tomato muffins – perfect for brunches, picnics and lunchboxes.
For a seriously sophisticated lunch, this dressing is a delicious accompaniment for richer flavoured fish like mackerel.
Diana Henry’s delicious and light crab, tomato and saffron tart is perfect for a summer lunch with friends or an easy supper.
Vinegar’s sweet tanginess pairs well with the savouriness of the tomatoes, creating something beautifully balanced and the chilli yoghurt adds a zing.
These tomatoes are perfect for a shared meal with friends says vegan expert Rita Serano. Easy to prepare in advance, they make a healthy, tasty meal.
You may be interested in…
Best-selling tomato grow bags
Looking to grow your own tomatoes? Check out our list of best-selling growbags.
- Our Salads Grower Bag along with our 3 Plant are packed with Better Growing’s premium mix of environmentally friendly compost
- Incorporating a mix of peats and John Innes with high levels of fertilization
- Produce fantastic results
- Perfect for Vegetable Crops
- Ideal for growing tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, cucumbers, green beans and melons
- The Original Gro-Bag, est. 1973
- The Ram 4 Pack Potato Vegetable Growing Bags,
- 7 Gallons
- Pack of 4
- 5-Pack Plant Bags, 3 Gallon (12 L) - 25.5cm (D) x 24.5cm (H); Reusable, washable and good drainage
- High Quality Fabric Pots - Made of thickened nonwoven fabric, heave duty and durable, allows the roots to breathe, prevent roots from circling and enhancing roots structure
- Poratble Handles - Thickened nylon handles with double stitching, comfortable touch, durable and safe for moving the plant, decreased risk of transplant shock
- 🌱Promote Root Formation: Our grow bags for vegetables are made of high quality nonwoven fabric prevents roots from circling and enhance root structure to promote healthy root development.
- 🌱Breathable and Drainage: Tomato grow bags have excellent drainage eliminating problems with over watering, soil will be moist but not too wet.
- 🌱Grow Healthily and Freely: The grow bag provided a suitable temperature and humidity for plant growing, suitable for planting potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, onions, beans, fruits, flowers and so on.
- 🍓【Material】These potato grow bags are made of eco-friendly polyethylene, soft, durable, wear-resistant, breathable, with 5 drainage holes at the bottom, allowing the roots of the plants to...
- 🥔【Clever & Flexible Design】4 Pack 10 gallon garden potato growing bags have a newly upgraded visualization flap window can quickly and accurately determine whether potatoes are ripe and harvest...
- 🌱【Easy to Move】This plant growing bag has two reinforced handles, you can easily move your plants as you require and protect them from bad weather. These tomatoes grow bags are perfect for use...
Last update on 2023-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This article may include affiliate links to products and services where we may receive a small fee to support the running of this site if you make a purchase or is a sponsored article from one of our select editorial partners providing valuable advice and information to our readers.