With virtual pub quizzes, zoom parties and ‘quarantinis’ having become the new normal, many of us have become a dab hand at fixing our own drinks.
And without the discipline of a normal working routine, the gym and diarising ‘school nights’ to lay off the booze, it’s far more tempting to have a glass, and then another one…
Combine that with warm temperatures and blue skies, who wouldn’t argue that a cuppa loses its mojo when there’s the appealing option of a mojito.
10 low or no alcohol alternatives to try now
But if you feel the need to call time on too much of a good thing, these low and no alcohol alternatives put mindful drinking first, without compromising on flavour.
1. A ‘small’ beer
Traditionally ‘small beer’ has an average abv of between 0.5% and 2.8%. Today, brewers are tapping into trends for low and no, and demand for artisan varieties, so the likes of the Small Beer Brew Co. – whose range comes in under 2.8% ABV – are creating really fresh session beers. Citrusy, hoppy, surprisingly satisfying and some with less than half the calories.
2. White wine spritzer
It’s a little bit old school cool, and remember, the more ice, the better. Take your favourite glass – highball is best – load it with quality cubes, half fill with a sauvignon blanc (the herbaceous flavours and aromatics won’t disperse easily when they’re diluted), top with lots of fizzy water and garnish with a lime wedge or lemon twist and mint.
3. Vermouth with soda
A fortified wine flavoured with herbs and spices, red vermouths such as Starlino Rosso work beautifully in low abv cocktails at 17%, and can be enjoyed on the rocks with a splash of soda. The classic ‘vermouth de Torino’ also comes in a heavy, apothecary style bottle, cin-cin!
4. Sparkling wine topped up with fruit juice
When it’s time to pop the corks, celebrations will last that much longer if you top your flute of fizz with a splash of fresh orange juice or red grapefruit juice. Alternatively, think about building a bellini: prosecco topped with peach purée is just as stylish, but lighter on the booze front.
5. Alcohol-free wine
A household name Down Under, award winning McGuigan wines produce all our favourite styles; but their Zero range has hidden potential. Not only can you quaff these fruity gems to your heart’s content, with three styles to choose from, it’s happy days for lunchtime sipping.
6. Non-alcoholic spirits
Seedlip’s non-alcoholic distilled spirits offer three variants: Garden, Grove and Spice. And if you really want to up the ante and switch tonic for juice, bitters and a twist, their website, offers a selection of easy to follow drinks recipes for some of the world’s most popular cocktails… without the hangover.
7. A light abv riesling
If you’re not familiar with the sommelier’s favourite wine (versatile and food friendly), Riesling is a bone-dry, cool climate style, and some can go as low as 9.5% abv. With lively fruit flavours, it could be your next go-to-white. Some of the best come from Pfalz in Germany, look for ‘trocken’ meaning dry, or ‘kabinett’ meaning light, on the label.
8. White port and tonic
Portuguese white port is having a moment, and you’ll be hard pushed to find a more deliciously crisp and refreshing drink than a P&T. Take one part white port (between 16.5% and 20% abv), one part tonic, serve over ice and garnish with a slice.
9. Grown-up cordial
Drinks critic Matthew Jukes is the brains behind Jukes Cordialities which are designed to resemble red and white wine, and to be served in a wine glass or tumbler with still, sparkling or tonic water.
10. Alcohol-free cider
There’s a number of 0% ciders out there, but beyond doubt, the Smashed range of British-made ciders tastes and feels like the real thing. With a medium dry palate and orchard fruit finish, there’s sharpness and sweetness in spades.
Best-selling low alcohol beer
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- The packaging of the item may differ from image as we may repackage to avoid damages
- 12 Alcohol-Free Beers, Handpicked by Beer Hawk's In-House Experts
- A Great Alcohol Free Gift Idea!
- Fruh Kolsch 'Radler' 500ml (2.5% ABV)
- Radler means cyclist in German and is a refreshing mix of beer and lemonade. Fruh Radler is the orignal in Cologne with a light citrus and mildly sweet flavour. For sunny minds and for connoisserus,...
- SMALL BEER GIFT PACK | x1 Lager, x1 Pale Ale, x1 Steam and x1 Dark Lager and x2 glasses
- LOWER ALCOHOL | Perfect for when you want a beer that’s full of flavour, without any of the slow down
- SMALL BEER | Specialists in brewing classic beer styles below 2.8%
- TWELVE EXCEPTIONAL, AWARD WINNING ALCOHOL FREE (0.5% abv) BEERS - Our traditional brewing process results in a mixed pack of high quality, real beers just without the alcohol. All vegan and gluten...
- 3 x NEW WORLD LAGER - Inspired by new world hop varieties from the Southern Hemisphere, Drop Bear's first alcohol free lager is a crisp IPL (India Pale Lager). Sweet notes of honey, biscuit, and...
- 3 X YUZU PALE ALE - Dry hopped with refreshing floral and grapefruit hops, a splash of yuzu bursts through the toffee base to create a sessionable and refreshing alcohol free pale ale. Expect a clean,...
- TASTING NOTES; Pistonhead Non-Alcoholic Flat Tire has a balanced and rich malt body & balanced, slightly marked bitterness. Fresh floral aroma with hints of tropical fruit & a citrus finish.
- 0.5% ABV FOR MOUTHFEEL – EU Law dictates that any beer
- BREWED WITH MOSAIC HOPS; These are some of the most complex hops on the planet which are packed with flavour & provide hints of tropical fruit & a tasty citrus edge.
Last update on 2021-10-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API