Barbecues at the ready because chef Tom Kerridge, holder of two Michelin stars, has a trove of summertime cooking treats to share.
During the course of his new show, Tom Kerridge Barbecues – on the Food Network – the chef will be showing off some old and new recipes using charcoal, smoke and fire.
He talks about his favourite dish from the series and why everyone – including professional chefs – are prone to barbecue disasters from time to time…
If you cook one thing on a barbecue for the rest of your life, what would it be?
“Probably short ribs of beef or beef brisket, something that’s slow-cooked, loads of flavour; they are the sort of things I love cooking. They take a bit more time, but that kind of effort and energy that comes through slow cooking is amazing.”
Do you have a favourite dish from the new series?
“One of the loveliest ones to do was a Spanish kind of chorizo pork burger, so it’s like a burger but [with] those lovely warming Spanish flavours, it makes you feel very much like it’s summer time.”
Have you had any real barbecue disasters?
“We all have them! Barbecue is one of those ways you cook, it’s sensual and [about] touch and understanding and it’s not always controlled like a grill or a hob, or whatever else you’ve got in the kitchen. It is about the coals and the way they’ve been formed. So quite often, things will stick on the barbecue, and it’s learning your way around it and the kind of things you can do to make things not stick. Things sticking on a BBQ haunts everybody, it’s not just you or anybody else at home – it’s everyone!”
What are your top tips for doing a successful barbecue?
“Planning and preparation is key. Last minute barbecuing is good, but you end up just going to stick some sausages on it. Actually to get the best barbecue… planning, structure and marinading or brining [soaking meat in a salt water solution which can have a similar effect as marinading] or dry rubs, they all take planning.”
Have you had a barbecue that sticks in your mind?
“My 40th birthday was pretty special, [it was] a few years ago, we had round about 200 people there and we had nine big, egg-style barbecues cooking. Pretty much every Michelin star chef in the country came and they all brought things to cook on the barbecue, so it was like a massive chef party with loads of people cooking loads of food on barbecues – it was an outstanding day.”
Tom Kerridge Barbecues airs from July 30 at 9pm on Food Network and will be available on dplay.
Best-selling barbecue grills
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- Innovative design allows easy and quick assembly in less than 30 minutes
- Size of the grill surface is approx. 56 x 41.5 cm; warming surface is approx. 53.9 x 24.1 cm.
- Enamelled cooking grate, warming rack and charcoal tray, which is easily height adjustable using the crank handle.
- 🦞Safety design: hollow handle with anti-scalding protection, sturdy and durable.Open flame is strictly prohibited during BBQ!
- 🍖Easy to use: integrated lid and easily readable thermometer, simply monitors the grill temperature. Four adjustable vents for precise temperature control.
- 🍤Crank system: Height-adjustable charcoal tray for perfect heat control and flexibility when cooking.
- Plated steel cooking grate
- Heavy-gauge steel fuel grate
- Porcelain-enamelled bowl and lid
- The CosmoGrill XL Charcoal Smoker Barbecue is the perfect outdoor companion for those intimate long weekends or family filled summer parties. Featuring a generously sized grilling area, there’s...
- TEMPERATURE CONTROL: The CosmoGrill temperature gauge enables you to cook to perfection. The chimney and adjustable air vents facilitate better flow of heat and smoke for that optimum flame grilled...
- MORE GRILLING CONTROL: Variable heat distribution around the grill enabling you to cook different meats and vegetables with different requirements at the same time. A stainless steel warming rack...
- Stand-up Barbecue: This product is 27in high and 17in in diameter. Its hight allows you to stand next when you bbq, and its size is to barbecue with three to four people.
- Perfect Thermal Control: rust-resistant adjustable Aluminum air vent damper allows for heat control without hassle to lift the lid. The thick roasting bowl and enamel-coated lid provide precise...
- Portable Charcoal Grill: This product has two wheels, you can easily carry it, and in good weather with friends in the yard or wild for a charcoal barbecue.Only grilled meat cooked on charcoal is the...
Last update on 2021-07-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API