“A lovely, quick dish for a midweek meal. If you can’t find oyster mushrooms, use chestnut mushrooms instead,” says Mary Berry.
King prawn and broccoli stir-fry with black bean sauce
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 large shallots very thinly sliced
- 2 cm piece of fresh root ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red chilli deseeded and thinly sliced
- 350 g peeled raw king prawns deveined
- 250 g broccoli broken into tiny florets
- 150 g oyster mushrooms thickly sliced
- 6 tbsp black bean sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large frying pan or wok until very hot. Add the oil, shallots, ginger and chilli and stir-fry over a high heat for 30 seconds. Push the vegetables to one side of the pan, then season the prawns with salt and pepper and add them to the centre of the pan. Fry for about two minutes until starting to turn pink.
- Tip in the broccoli and mushrooms, toss together using two spatulas and fry for two to three minutes.
- Mix the black bean sauce, soy sauce and lemon juice together in a bowl. Add to the pan and toss everything together well. Stir-fry for another two minutes until the prawns are cooked and the broccoli is just tender but still crunchy.
- Serve piping hot on its own or with rice or noodles.
Mary Berry’s Quick Cooking by Mary Berry, photography by Georgia Glynn Smith, published by BBC Books.
Wise Living Magazine may receive a small commission to help support the running of this site from purchases made from links on this page. Affiliate links do not influence our editorial or articles published by Wise Living.