“I was blown away by this salad [when somebody made it for me on a trip to India] – I never would have thought of combining peanuts and beetroot,” explains food writer, Chetna Makan.
“Even my kids, who don’t like beetroot that much, absolutely love this quick dish. It gets so much ﬂavour and crunch from the peanuts and cumin seeds, I think it’s a must-have on summer tables.”
Beetroot salad with carrot and peanut
- Pestle and mortar
- Small pan
For the salad
- 50 g roasted peanuts coarsely crushed
- 4 raw beetroot about 400g, grated
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 20 g fresh coriander finely chopped
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the tadka
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- Use a pestle and mortar to coarsely crush the peanuts, then put them into a bowl with the rest of the salad ingredients.
- To make the tadka, heat the oil in a small pan and add the cumin seeds. Once they start to sizzle, add the green chillies, give them a stir, then take the pan off the heat.
- Pour the tadka over the salad, toss well and serve. This will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
Chetna’s Healthy Indian Vegetarian by Chetna Makan, photography by Nassima Rothacker, is published by Mitchell Beazley (octopusbooks.co.uk).
Try Chetna’s cheese and potato chapatti sandwich recipe.
Wise Living Magazine may receive a small commission to help support the running of this site from purchases made from links on this page. Affiliate links do not influence our editorial or articles published by Wise Living.