In search of an easy-to-make cheesecake recipe, then look no further. Basque cheesecakes are the easiest cheesecakes you can make. There’s no crumb or pastry base to be seen, you just mix up a simple batter and bake in a tin lined with scrunchy baking paper. Baking at a high temperature delivers a slightly burnt exterior and super creamy fluffy interior – almost similar to soufflé.
The cheesecake on its own is amazingly good, but the addition of syrupy spiced mandarins takes it to another flavour level.
Basque-style cheesecake with spiced mandarins
- 20cm round springform cake tin
- Food or hand mixer
- 680 g full-fat cream cheese
- 250 g caster sugar
- Good pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 25 g cornflour
- 4 medium eggs
- 300 ml double cream
For the spiced mandarins:
- 596 g tinned mandarin segments (we used two 298g tins of Del Monte mandarin segments in juice)
- 4 tbsp softlight brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 6 cardamom pods, slightly squashed
- Make the cheesecake the day before you want to serve it. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6 and find a 20cm round springform tin.
- Take a large piece of baking parchment, more than big enough to line the tin, and scrunch it up in your hands – this makes the paper easier to manipulate. Unscrunch the paper and put it in the tin, using a smaller cake tin to help mould it to the sides. Don’t worry about the creases and wrinkles – these are all part of the look of the cheesecake!
- If you have a mixer, put the cream cheese, sugar, salt, vanilla and cornflour into it and beat them thoroughly together. Otherwise, do this in a large mixing bowl, beating until smooth.
- Add the eggs and start beating them into the cream cheese mixture, gradually pouring in the cream as you go. If you’re using a mixing bowl, beat in the eggs one at a time before beating in the cream. You want a nice, smooth mixture.
- Pour the mixture carefully into the lined tin and transfer to the oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes until the cheesecake is puffed up, very brown at the edges and a rich golden brown in the centre. It should have a slight wobble in the middle still. Take out of the oven and leave to cool completely in the tin – it will sink as it cools. Transfer to the fridge and refrigerate overnight.
- While the cheesecake is baking, make the spiced mandarins. Drain the juice from both cans into a saucepan. Add the brown sugar and whole spices and put over a medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, then let the juice come to a brisk simmer and cook for about 10 minutes until the liquid is reduced and syrupy. Take off the heat, add the mandarin segments and stir gently. Leave to cool then refrigerate.
- When you’re ready to serve, carefully remove the paper and transfer the cheesecake to a serving plate. Serve in slices, with a generous spoonful of the mandarins and their syrup.
Recipe courtesy of Del Monte
Best-selling 20cm round spring-form cake tin
Need the right tin for this recipe? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- Approx Tin Dimensions: 20 / 22 / 24 cm - With Depth of 6.5 CM
- Main Material: Metal
- With Non-Stick Coating
- Part of the Salter Marble collection, this baking pan is quality with a classic finish that will look lovely in your kitchen
- Made from gorgeous Grey carbon steel, this heavy gauge bakeware is strong, durable and long lasting, so you can bake with confidence
- The non stick marble coating and simple release mechanism ensures that the cake will easily be released when cooked without crumbling
- ✿ Master Class Springform Cake Tin: Nonstick and leakproof cake tin is made of high-quality carbon steel + high-temperature non-stick baking varnish, 100% safe and healthy, and heated more evenly....
- ✿ Non-stick quick-release Springform cake pan: The non-stick coating and honeycomb bottom design of the cheesecake cake tin can make your cake fall out of the spring pan more cleanly and help you...
- ✿ Removable loose bottom baking tray: Elastic cake mold with removable loose bottom, the latch can be opened and closed smoothly, and the cake can be quickly released from the spring mold. The...
- This cake pan has a secure springform clasp, so it’s easy to remove your cakes without damage
- 1 mm thick carbon steel body ensures smooth heat transfer, while 2 robust non stick layers make cleaning simple
- Ideal for baking moist sponges, creamy cheesecakes, and rich fruitcakes
- Strong fast-release springform mechanism
- Robust Commercial Weight Steel
- Double layered non-stick Whitford Eclipse coating, which contains carefully chosen and unusually hard materials, permitting a higher percentage of special reinforcing elements than normal.
Last update on 2021-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API