Thinning hair isn’t just a problem that men suffer with. Women lose their hair too, and while it’s often to a much lesser extent, it can be just as distressing to deal with.
Reasons for thinning hair can range from simple and temporary – such as a vitamin deficiency – to much more complex underlying health problems.
“Thinning hair is extremely common and can be due to genetics or it can be affected by health and diet,” says Tracey Walker, director of education at The Institute of Trichologists, who notes: “There’s always something which can help, even if the hair loss can’t be cured.”
5 reasons for thinning hair
Wondering why your hair is thinning? Here are five reasons why you might be experiencing hair loss or thinning…
Stress caused by accidents, illnesses and operations, as well as certain medications, crash dieting and the build up of every day stresses and anxiety, can lead to something called ‘acute telogen effluvium’, or reflective hair shedding.
The condition can affect both men and women, and as the name suggests, this type of hair loss can be reflective of what’s going on in the body, so if stress is halted or avoided, a full recovery is possible.
Hair follicles are among the most metabolically active in the body, and hair growth may be affected by calorie and protein malnutrition, as well as micronutrient deficiency.
Longer-term hair shedding can be caused by low iron levels, which is more common in women.
There’s also evidence vitamin D deficiency may cause hair loss and other hair problems. Vitamin D stimulates hair follicles to grow, so when the body doesn’t have enough, hair may be affected. Vitamin B12 is another common deficiency studies have linked to hair loss.
3. Thyroid problems
An underactive thyroid or an overactive thyroid can cause both thinning hair and hair loss, because disrupted hormone production affects hair development at the root. When hair falls out, it may not be replaced by new growth, which can result in thinning.
4. Age, genes and hormones
Male pattern baldness is the most common form of hair loss in men. Age, genetics and testosterone all play a part in both male and female pattern hair loss.
Studies have shown that male pattern baldness can result from an over-sensitivity to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), promoting the growth of facial and body hair. Male Pattern baldness is treatable for most men these days with treatments like Finasteride or Regaine. Female pattern hair loss commonly becomes visible after menopause due to lower oestrogen levels, which means more free testosterone in the body.
The condition can, however, occur at any time of hormonal change, and in a younger woman could indicate polycystic ovarian syndrome.
There are different types of alopecia, and although it often leads to total hair loss, the first signs are usually temporary hair thinning.
Walker says a type called frontal fibrosing alopecia is becoming more common in post-menopausal women and is often dismissed as general age-related hair thinning. However, if correctly diagnosed, medication can be used to slow or halt hair loss.
There’s also scarring alopecia, also known as cicatricial alopecia, which refers to disorders that can cause hair loss, such as lichen planopilaris, lupus erythematosus and Sjogren’s syndrome.
If you are concerned about your hair or any patches of thinning, always consult your GP for advice.
You may also be interested in…
Best-selling hair loss treatments
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- Clinically Proven To Help Regrow Hair – Regaine contains minoxidil; the only OTC active ingredient clinically proven to help stop and even reverse male hereditary hair loss
- 9 Out Of 10 Men Kept or Regrew Hair After 16 Weeks - Regaine For Men Extra Strength Scalp Foam is scientifically proven to help stop hereditary hair loss when applied to the scalp twice daily for 16...
- Contains The Active Ingredient Minoxidil - Regaine For Men Regrowth Scalp Foam contains minoxidil which works by increasing the blood supply and nutrients to hair follicles, assisting in strengthening...
- Made in the UK ✔ Packed full of natural ingredients ✔ Cruelty-free ✔ sulphate & Paraben free ✔ pH neutral for your scalp ✔ Vegan Society approved.
- ✅ 82% of users agreed THEIR HAIR FELT THICKER ✅ 83% of users agreed THEIR HAIR FELT STRONGER ✅ 72% of users agreed THEIR HAIR LOOKS LONGER ✅ 90% of users agreed THEIR HAIR FELT HEALTHIER ✅...
- Nourishing, Revitalises and deep cleans the scalp, strengthens, increases hair density, amazing natural ingredients to promote thicker, longer stronger looking hair.
- HELPS TO PREVENT HEREDITARY HAIR LOSS With its unique galenic formula and its optimal caffeine dosage (and other potent active ingredients) Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo C1 supports natural hair growth.
- CONTAINS PATENTED SKIN ACTIVATOR Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo's effectiveness to help with hair loss has been demonstrated over several years of scientific research. Contains caffeine, zinc and niacin for...
- MORE INTENSE HAIR GRIP Hair immediately has a better grip and can be styled better without the use of softening silicones.
- Great Tasting - Hairburst Chewable Supplements are the best hair growth vitamins on the market. Our hair gummies are soft, easy to chew pastilles and come in a delicious strawberry and blackcurrant...
- Gets the Results – Our hair vitamins have been specially formulated to encourage and improve your hair growth and quality, combatting the daily disruptive factors which can affect your hair and its...
- All Natural - Hairburst vitamins are a suitable biotin hair growth supplement for both men and women. They contain 26 premium Ingredients including increased levels of biotin and collagen to help with...
- GET HEALTHY RESULTS: GROW THICKER FULLER HAIR AND REDUCE HAIR FALL in 90 days!: Are you dealing with hair loss and thinning hair on the top of your head, crown, or frontal hair line? If so, you...
- CLINICALLY DEVELOPED DHT BLOCKER FOR THINNING HAIR: our formula is completely Unique and developed for MEN and WOMEN losing hair due to DHT, hormonal changes, stress, and digestive problems. Only DHT...
- STOP HAIR LOSS AND NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE: The Advanced Trichology line was developed in our own top rated hair loss treatment centers. Our hair loss supplements have been scientifically tested in our...
Last update on 2021-09-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIWise Living Magazine may receive a small commission to help support the running of this site from purchases made from links on this page, or some links may have been sponsored to be included in the article. Affiliate or sponsored links do not influence our editorial or articles published by Wise Living.