Embracing your natural colour can be daunting, particularly if you’ve been dying your hair for years. Once you’ve made the decision, it will take a bit of time and effort to keep your hair healthy.
“Transitioning from coloured to grey hair can be quite a lengthy process,” says Irish stylist Leandro Santos Santana, owner of Decode Hair by Leandro. “Much like going from a dark brunette base to blonde, it takes several appointments in the salon and regular maintenance at home to ensure your hair looks and feels its best.”
Celebrity colourist Jack Martin – the man behind Sharon Osbourne’s transition to grey last year – revealed that it took eight hours “to get her to a platinum blonde so she no longer needs to commit to colouring her hair once a week anymore”.
This isn’t the first celebrity Martin has styled. He also helped Jane Fonda make the transition from blonde to silver, debuting her new colour at the 2020 Oscars ceremony.
It’s good news if you’re already blonde like Fonda, because the transition will be that bit easier. “You can start to add babylights into your hair with different lighter shades of blonde and silver hues, and over a few appointments your hair will be light enough and incredibly close to the silver hue you desire,” Santana explains.
Darker hair will require a bit more love and attention. “One option is to let your natural roots grow out as much as possible and have your hair cut shorter,” says Santana. “Pixie cuts in particular are a popular choice and will allow you to become grey quicker than if you have longer hair that requires a lot more colouring to reach this shade.”
The other option is to make regular highlight appointments at the salon to lighten your locks, then bleach your hair to the shade you want it to be. “This can be costly and will take around six months to a year to achieve the lightness you desire,” says Santana – not to mention the bleach could potentially damage your hair.
Once you’ve got your hair colour to where you want it, it’s all about maintenance. “A silver shampoo and conditioner are a must to keep the hair free from brassiness and the grey/silver tone looking its best,” explains Santana.
“Hair masks and treatments are also important to avoid hair from drying out or becoming further damaged, as the hair would have gone through a lot of bleach and colour to get to the stage it’s at.”
Even though you need to take care of your hair, you’ll no longer need to worry about dying it periodically or constantly getting your roots touched up. If you want the colour to pop you might consider getting your hair toned once in a while, but otherwise you can sit back and enjoy your natural-looking locks.
Best-selling grey hair products
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- Transform dull grey to Shimmering Silver
- Cleanses and enhances grey strands for youthful, radiant shine
- With silver gloss technology for dull grey or white hair
- ONE SIZE - SUITABLE FOR ADULTS AND KIDS: Our generously sized bobbles will fit all lengths and thickness of hair. Be creative and style your hair with total confidence.
- EXTRA STRETCHY: Our hair bobbles are a must-have hair accessory, providing both strength and a amazing stretchability for all hair types particularly medium to thicker hair. The stretch enables you to...
- VIRTUALLY INVISIBLE: With a large selection of more natural colours either match up to blend in with your hair or co-ordinate colours to stand out!
- 【Safe & Non-toxic】: Unlike ordinary hair dye that is full of harmful chemicals, this darkening shampoo is made of all-natural herbal ingredients. It needs to be used continuously for 3 months. The...
- 【Natural Hair Therapy】: Contains herbs like fallopia multiflora to reactivate hair pigment cells Melanocytes, and ginger with natural anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties which keep scalp...
- 【Black Hair Shampoo】- Made with Chinese herbal extracts extracts that give you healthy and natural looking black hair color,healthy environmental protection. help to strong the hair fibers from...
- Garnier Perfect Silver enhancing treatment for grey and white hair
- Gently illuminates white and grey hair for a natural looking results
- Shine and anti-yellow effect neutralising colour cream ready to use, no mixing
- Brilliant Shampoo: a soft violet, use 1-2 x a week to banish yellowy tones from white and grey hair
- Luminous Conditioner is rich and creamy for lustrous flex, bounce and shine. Use as often as needed
- Quality formulations developed specifically for white,grey and silver hair
Last update on 2021-09-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
You may also be interested in…Wise Living Magazine may receive a small commission to help support the running of this site from purchases made from links on this page, or some links may have been sponsored to be included in the article. Affiliate or sponsored links do not influence our editorial or articles published by Wise Living.