If you’ve recently discovered the joy of cycling, you’re not alone. According to new research from analysts Mintel, just under a third of adults are making the most of life on two wheels and around a fifth of all Brits cycle at least once a week. Additionally, 25% of adults who bought a bike in the past year were first-time cyclists or were rediscovering the joy of cycling as a result of the pandemic.
With summer in full swing, there couldn’t be a better time to get in the saddle and make the most of this low impact sport ‘for all’ which is easy to embrace and good for your wellbeing. Especially with so many options out there and a bike for every budget.
Here’s how to get a handle on your newfound freedom…
1. Consider the safety of your cycling apparel
Right, so you’re on two wheels and are raring to go, but what about your kit? Ultimately, safety comes first and you need a helmet. Lightweight and comfortable, there’s a style for every type of cycling, whether it’s city, road riding or mountain terrain. But there are also different types of safety certifications and features (such as MIPS, multi-directional impact protection system) to help protect you from different types of impact. Head to the likes of Evans Cycles or Cycle Superstore to help you find the lid that’s right for you.
2. Brush up on your cycling skills and awareness
Pedalling out for the first time in a while can be a little nervy, especially if you’re not used to the traffic environment or road conditions. We are cycling UK offer handy advice and video guides on road safety awareness, from basic road positioning and brake sense, to observation and anticipation. Elsewhere, Irishcycle.com has lots of top tips on navigating Irish streets for the first time.
3. Get the most out of your journey
Cycling apps are a fast track to finding the bike ride that’s best for you, whether you just want to get out in the fresh air and enjoy a family cycle ride, or are keen to tackle an unfamiliar destination. Bike Hub Journey Planner is a go-to for spoken instructions, a choice of three routes (the quickest, quietest or scenic) as well as handy features such as finding the nearest bike service shop – just in case. Plus it’s free to download.
4. Basic bike maintenance is a must
Checking the tyre pressure, brake lines and pads, and keeping your chain oiled are all basic to your bike’s performance. If you can’t do it yourself, your local bike service centre (or member of your bike-friendly community) should be on hand to help. To find a reputable dealer, look for the Association of Cycle Traders (ACT) sign. It represents specialist cycle retailers who comply with their code of conduct. Cytec certificates are administered by ACT and are the industry’s recognised training and accreditation scheme for cycle mechanics and bike technicians.
Ireland’s equivalent is the IPBMA, and you can head to Cycle Superstore to pre-book your bike into one of their workshops for a service.
5. Join a cycling club
Cyclists tend to be a sociable crowd, love to share their road skills and are passionate about the fantastic feeling of achieving their goals… like hitting the top of that hill on a timed trial. Joining a club is a brilliant way for beginners to get a feel for competitive cycling or becoming a competent rider. Check out British Cycling or Cycling Ireland to find your nearest club – and take pleasure in the power of the pedal.
Best-selling cycling helmets
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- ►【Durable & Impact Resistance Material】This bicycle helment is specially designed for adult & Youth rider. With tough and durable PVC & PC, EPS foam, it helps absorb the impact and protect the...
- ►【All-Round Breathable & Lightweight】With 18 vents ventilation design, the bike helmet allows air go through and keeps cool. The breathable lightweight material wears comfortably.
- ►【Adjustable Head Cirumference & Quick Release Buckle】RaMokey bike helmets for adults can be applied to different head sizes. Both the head cirumference and side straps are adjustable. This...
- Material: Integrally-molded EPS bicycle helmet.
- Breathable and comfortable: 18 vents, well-ventilated.
- Adjustment buckle: Quick adjustment, can be applied to different head sizes.
- 【High performance quality 】The bicycle helmet Using high-density EPS imported from the United States and thicker PC shell materials, as well as advanced integrated molding technology, its...
- 【Adjustable to different sizes】: The standard size of this adult riding helmet is 54cm to 62cm, with an easy-to-use dial system and side straps, so that this nutshell helmet can be made according...
- 【Helmet Led light】:Bicycle helmets with LED lights can help people behind to clearly identify your direction. The LED safety light is located on the back of the helmet and has 3 lighting modes:...
- ADJUSTABLE SIZE FUNCTION: Adult bike helmet with Dual Fit adjustable design, There is a adjusting knob at the back of the bike helmet, helping to adjust the head circumference. Adjustable Size: 22-24...
- VENTILATION 21 VENTS, LIGHT WEIGHT: Bike helmet special aerodynamic design and 21 breathable Vents, Effectively reduce air resistance and reduce sweating. The bike helmet only 310g (0.68 lb) will not...
- SAFETY PROTECTION: High-density imported PC case with superior technology will surely improve safe performance. Bicycle helmet with durable hard shell, soft pad can absorb the pressure caused by...
- Quick-dry padding
- Compact shape
- In-mold polycarbonate shell with EPS liner
Last update on 2021-08-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API