Technology makes modern life easier in so many ways – but it can also be a real eyesore when it accumulates in the home. Whether it’s a rat’s nest of tangled wires taking up space on your kitchen island, or work-from-home kit piling up in your living room, it doesn’t take long for tech to take over.
How to tidy up your home tech
But there’s no need to unplug everything and commit to a life off-grid. Here are some step-by-step tips for getting your home tech tidy…
1. Go through everything
Hands up if you’ve got a box full of random cables that you’re too scared to throw away, but you’re not exactly sure what they’re for? It makes no sense to hold onto gadgets or chargers that are no longer useful, so gather all of your essential devices together and spend a satisfying hour or two matching everything up.
Anything that doesn’t have an obvious use should be put in a separate pile to responsibly get rid of.
2. Recycle the surplus
It goes without saying that old tech should never just be chucked in the general waste bin; electrical equipment often contains toxic substances, like mercury, that impact both the environment and human health.
If you’ve got a pile of old phones gathering dust, check out ecoATM – the recycling company has kiosks at select locations across England, Scotland and Wales, and will pay you for handing in your unused units.
Meanwhile, Currys PC World also offer a free recycling programme in store, where you can drop off everything from old toasters to broken vacuum cleaners, regardless of whether you bought it from them or not.
WeeeCharity is your new best friend when it comes to ditching deadweight chargers too – book a slot on their website and they’ll come and collect them right from your doorstep.
3. Get some cable kit
If the sight of tentacle-like wires sprouting from your plug sockets is bringing you down, it might be time to invest in some reusable gear ties – we like Nite Ize’s Cordable Twist Ties (£5.99 for a pack of two, niteize.com) – which can be twisted and secured to keep cable lengths in a neat wrap.
Box cable organisers, like D-Line’s Cable Tidy Unit (from £10.45, homebase.com), hide unsightly jumbles of cables on the floor so you can tuck away any mess. We also like Peak Design’s Tech Pouch (£44.20, peakdesign.com) – a zip-up bag with loads of handy pockets for storing fiddly desk bits like headphones, a computer mouse and memory cards.
4. Stick it in a basket
You don’t need to spend loads of money to make sure your tech isn’t overwhelming you. Simply putting any work-from-home items, like keyboards and laptops, into a designated box or basket that can be stored in a cupboard can help minimise mess and clutter.
A tray basket in the living room can also help you keep remote controls and iPads in one place, minimising the risk of family arguments over misplaced tech.
5. Cut a hole
If you’ve got an old piece of furniture that you aren’t precious over, like a thrifted dining toom table or desk, you could drill a circular grommet hole so you can run your cables through it.
Obviously, you’ll need a good level of DIY skills and some experience of safely using a drill and hole saw to give this one a go.
6. Invest in charging furniture
In recent years, designers have responded to our tech organisation woes with furniture solutions that do away with the need for loads of charging cables.
For instance, Ikea recently launched range of smart furniture that incorporates hidden charging pads for giving your smartphone some juice without having to hunt around for your charger.
The range includes desk lamps and side tables, and there’s a neat little charging pad that accommodates up to three devices at one time, doing away with the need for multiple trailing charger cables on your kitchen worktops.
Best-selling cable management solutions
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- 🔷EASY TO USE: Simply peel and stick, make your home look more tidy.
- 🔷STRONG ADHESIVE: Made of eco-friendly premium PA66 material, clips with strong adhesive tape.
- 🔷WORKS WELL ON: All smooth and clean surfaces of desks, walls, base boards, cabinets, wood, etc.
- MAKE CABLE MANAGEMENT A BREEZE - This Cable Tray Organizer helps with managing messy wires and power adapters that plague today's work desks.
- STURDY DESIGN - Constructed of 2mm thick extruded metal, these cable trays are super-sturdy and extra-durable.
- SET OF 2 LARGE TRAYS - With 2 LARGER SIZE (length:40cm) trays, you can collects your electric and computer cables together, makes it easier to keep your work area tidy.
- 🔷Package Content: 4 * Cable Sleeves, 15 * Cable Clips, 3 * Silicone Cable Holders, 100 * Cable Fastening Ties, 10 * Self-adhesive Cable Ties, 2 * Cable Tie Rolls, good enough to keep all your messy...
- 🔷Premium Material: The sleeve is made from high-quality PET material, durable, flexible, and self-wrapping. The 15Pcs-cable clips are made from eco-friendly PA66 material, nontoxic, and extra...
- 🔷Easy to Install: Just cut the cable sleeve to the desired length to wrap the wire, while using the cable ties or the cable clips to organise multiple cables, no need to drill.
- [Amazon ISTA-6 Certification] - YOSH has succefully won ISTA-6 Certification by providing lighter, and more environmental-friendly package, saving lots of unnecessary waste.
- [Durable Material & Safety Assurance] - Crafted with durable Submersible Neoprene Fabric, featured with advantages of waterproof, dust-proof and anti-bite, YOSH cable tidy sleeves can do more than...
- [Great value and Large Capacity] - 4 pieces management sleeves with each 50 cm in length and 9 cm in width, equipped with reusable zip for using them individually or combine two or more together to...
- Package includes 2 pack cable management sleeves, Each sleeve is 60 inches long, black (1.03 Inches diameter, can hold up 8-10 cables) & grey (0.87 Inches diameter, can hold up 6-8 cables). Please...
- The cord tidy wrap is essential for keeping your kids from hazards and protecting your wires from being chewed by a curious pet, bringing you a safe, comfortable and enjoyable working and living...
- Two-stylish color design, black, and Grey are available to match any black or light background. Tidy up all your cable mess
- Strong and Sturdy: Avoid messy hanging wires! This under table cable management kit is the sturdiest one available on Amazon. The under desk wire organizer is made out of steel, giving it sturdy...
- Easily Mounted: The under desk cord organizer tray installs to the bottom of any wood, MDF, or particleboard desk. You can even mount it on the wall and use it as a cable management wall unit. Not...
- Endless Length Options: The under desk cable tray set contains 2 straps and 2 wire trays, 15.9” (40,5cm) each, giving you a total of 31.8” (81cm) of wire management under desk. Compatible with...
- Upgraded Version with 12 Connectors Included: 6 Straight/4 Elbow/1 Inside Elbow and 1 Outside Elbow Connectors included;Quick & Easy Installation: Simply peel & stick the cable trunking to the wall,...
- 9 Cable Trunkings(39cm each) in Pre-cut Slim Sections: The cable management system are pre-cut into 9 sections to provide optimal installation length. Eliminate unnecessary cuts and save your time and...
- Extra Strength Self Adhesive Tape or Screws: The wire cover duct comes with upgraded stronger self -adhesive tape for easy installation, great for organizing cables of wall mounted TVs or monitors. 12...
Last update on 2021-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API