If you want to create a chill for Halloween at home, do it with houseplants – whether you choose freaky foliage, spiky succulents or carnivorous candidates.
Garden centres are now awash with scary possibilities that you could pair with rustic carved pumpkins and trailing hairy air plants for maximum effect.
Set the stage
Create your own witches table with gothic candles and bottles of different coloured herbs that have potion potential, or add a selection of miniature pumpkins or tombstones, black berries and weird seedheads to your terrarium for a spine-chilling combination.
“For maximum effect, group your Halloween-inspired plants on a mantle or shelf. Use plants like the Humata tyermanii with its hairy spider legs, and tillandsia that gives the allusion of cobwebs, to set the tone,” suggests Rebecca Stanton, stylist for Dobbies Garden Centres (dobbies.com).
“To create a ‘creepy lab’ effect, add moss balls to jars and nestle them in your display, and make sure you include an Alocasia ‘Red Secret’ in the mix. Its glossy blood red leaves will definitely give a haunted house feel. For a finishing touch, add some small gourds – the wartier the better.”
Andy Webb, plant manager at Squires Garden Centres (squiresgardencentres.co.uk) in Woking suggests using orange, black or ghostly white ceramic pots, or containers with a rough texture. You could line a black or white pot with orange tissue paper to dress it up, or wrap pots with orange ribbon, or carve out a pumpkin and use it as a plant pot.
The spook-tacular houseplants to buy
1. Humata tyermanii
“Sometimes known as the rabbit’s foot fern or spider fern, this houseplant is a great addition,” says Claire Bishop, senior houseplant buyer for Dobbies Garden Centres, echoing Stanton.
“The classic fern features furry roots that cascade down the pot of the plant, giving the effect of tarantula legs. The Humata tyermanii should be watered regularly and likes to be in a bright spot with a lot of humidity, making it the perfect addition to your bathroom or kitchen.”
2. Venus fly trap
Flies and other insects get trapped in its leafy jaws as this plant feeds on live matter, making it ideal for Halloween, Webb suggests. Movement activates the trap hairs which then close over the intruder; the plant produces digestive acids from glands on the inner surface of the leaf which kill and then dissolve its victim’s body.
3. Alocasia ‘Red Secret’
Another Stanton recommendation, the haunting Alocasia ‘Red Secret’ features metallic leaves and translucent stems. “It thrives in medium to bright indirect sunlight and enjoys high humidity, so be sure to mist it frequently to keep it happy,” says Bishop, who suggests keeping it in your living room or bathroom.
4. Aloe vera
A classic houseplant year-round, this popular succulent offers a bit of Halloween greenery, Webb suggests. As well as looking frighteningly cool, aloe vera is an air purifier, and is happiest in a bright spot such as on your desk.
5. Rattlesnake Plant (Calathea)
This plant has corrugated leaves, and is very striking. Its leaves are pale green and spotted with deep purple underneath, which is velvety to the touch. The plant can actually move its leaves by changing the water pressure in the pulvini, the swollen nodes at the base of the leaf stalk, almost like it has a mind of its own…
6. Old Man Cactus
This spooky cactus has fluffy white tufts of hair over the surface of its body. But beware – under that white hair are the sharpest of spines, Webb warns.
7. Croton (Codiaeum variegatum)
The warm tones of this houseplant’s leaves make it Halloween and autumn suitable. Bishop advises this plant should be placed in a bright spot, with indirect sunlight, and watered regularly, to keep it thriving. Make sure you allow the topsoil to dry out in between watering so as not to overwater it.
8. Mind Your Own Business (Nertera granadensis)
Add some trademark Halloween orange to the scene with this house favourite, also known as the coral bead plant, says Webb. It’s a creeping perennial that has thin fleshy stems and is covered with orange berries.
9. Tillandsia usneoides (air plant)
Sometimes known as Spanish moss, the Tillandsia usneoides is an easy to care for plant. Drape it across a table or shelf for a live spider web effect, guaranteed to spook your friends and family. Simply mist it twice a week to stop it from drying out. It loves a sunny spot so is excellent for conservatories or bright bathrooms, says Bishop.
10. Devil’s Ivy (Epipremnum aureum)
Even if it’s only the name that gives a chill, this houseplant is worth including because it’s so easy to keep and almost impossible to kill, says Webb. A decorative climber with glossy green leaves splashed with yellow, allow it to creep over shelving or up a support for a spooky effect.
Best-selling houseplant containers
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- Ceramic Flower Pots - These ceramic planters provide a sleek touch, a sturdy base and a long life span.
- Modern Cracked Glass Design - Makes these half glazed ceramic pots for plants stylish, giving a smooth surface combined with the natural and rugged texture for the unglazed part.
- Perfect for Planting - Plant with these indoor planters. Equipped with drainage holes, the flower pot set widely suits succulent, cacti, pothos, herb, spider plant, orchid, artificial plant etc....
- 1. Beautiful flower pots. The sloth type ceramic flower pots hold your plants and attract your guests.
- 2. Ceramic flowerpot. Glazed and sparkling, it is made of gorgeous high-quality ceramics. Good abrasion resistance and corrosion resistance.
- 3. Jute sling and durable, with a touch of rustic charm. The pot is environmental protection.
- HIGH-QUALITY - This plant pot is made from sturdy ceramic materials. These ceramic planters provide a unique look, have an anti-slip sturdy bottom and a long life span. Perfect for use in home and...
- UNIQUE DESIGN- Featuring the wording " Robins appear when loved ones are near " and provides you with the most unique look and is sure to bring a smile to someone's face with its cute Red Robin...
- PERFECT GIFT- Winter Robin ceramic plant pot is a thoughtful gift for someone in need of some uplifting words and the perfect gift for your loved ones, family and friends on birthdays, Christmas or...
- HIGH QUALITY AND SAFE MATERIAL: The planter is made of premium lightweight ceramic Material, which is durable and more closer to nature than plastic material pot.There is a small design at the bottom...
- UNIQUE GLAZED DESIGN: Our TOTOOSE team tried hundreds of experiments and finally fired this unique ceramic glaze at the right temperature. When you hold it in your hand, you will feel that...
- BEST GIFT: The 3 pcs flowerpot has 3 sizes, the large size is φ11x9cm, the medium size is φ9x7cm, and the small size is φ7x5cm. Suitable for growing different plants at home. It is also an...
- The Plant Pots are designed with matte finishing exterior in soft,round shapes,bringing out a modern minimalistic styled ceramic like visual representation,fits for any home/garden/office décor.
- Unique Design：the plastic flower pot with brief swirl stripes making the planters special, And smooth glossy inner finish for easy cleaning. Great for replanting, and for flower plant lovers
- Premium Eco-friendly Plastic Planters:Carefully choosing super lightweight,sturdy polypropylene,making such classy,durable,thick planters,no odor,hard to broken.
- SUN-E New collections!!Ideal for adding a dash of refreshingly modern design to your home,Great Gift - this ceramic pot can serve a variety of purposes. Perfect gift for family and friends who love...
- Material:Ceramic(Made of top-quality clay and baked in high temperatures);Package content: 6pcs * Pot.
- Approximate Size: 3.7 x 4 x 3.1 inch/9.4 x 10 x 7.8 CM (L x W x H).Refer to the picture for the detailed size.
- ✔️ ASSORTED SET OF 3 - This Set of 3 Maison & White Geometric Plant Pots come in three different sizes so if you want to place your small, medium or large succulent plants together in stunning...
- ✔️ INTELLIGENT DESIGN - The pots have a draining hole located on the bottom allowing excess water to easily drain, helping your plants stay healthy whilst looking as vibrant as ever.
- ✔️ BEAUTIFUL STYLE - These plant pots look a treat in any home, indoors or outside. Coming in three assorted sizes all complementing each other, these pots look good in any room and on any...
Last update on 2021-11-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API