During the coronavirus pandemic, there’s a good chance your daily gym schedule may have dwindled to a couple of walks to the fridge and a bit of fresh air at lunchtime. But while we’re all spending extra time at home, why not utilise this time to put down the remote and test your fitness with a daily challenge?
With the right attitude, lockdown can double up as your own personal fitness boot camp, helping you smash a new PBs and keep on track for when you’re able to take on the next big outdoor challenge.
Be it cardio, strength training, weightlifting, yoga or meditation, whatever form of exercise you’re into, there’s a physical feat for every kind of fitness fan.
1. 30-day squat challenge
If your goal is to tone up your glutes, a month-long squat challenge is one of the best ways to build muscle and blast fat from the area – plus, it’s a killer calorie burn.
Set aside ten minutes a day to see how many squats you can get through, and slowly increase your reps as the days go on. The beauty of squats is that you can do them anytime, whether you’re waiting for kettle to boil or bored during TV ad breaks. Just make sure to build in a couple of rest days so your lower body can recover.
2. 30-day split challenge
Ever watched a yoga video on YouTube and wished you were able glide into the front splits with the same easy gracefulness? Now’s your time to learn the ultimate party trick while you can.
The 30-day split challenge involves deeply stretching your hips flexors and hamstrings every morning, so you can gradually decrease the space between you inner thighs and floor. There are lots of different 30-day stretching tutorial videos online to choose from, based on your flexibility level, plus you can find progress diaries from other users to help keep you motivated.
3. Couch to 5K
If you’re totally new to fitness and want to set yourself a goal, Couch to 5K is a great place to start. The app (free to download) is designed to get you off the settee and running a breezy 5km within just nine weeks, by building a schedule of three runs per week with a rest day in between. It also has motivational virtual coaches to keep you moving, plus a handy countdown timer so you can keep an eye on how long you’ve been out of the house.
4. 30 days of yoga
Yoga is one those practices that requires loads of patience, and the only way to get better at it is to be consistent.
Yoga with Adrienne’s 30 days of Yoga Challenge (yogawithadriene.com) is a series of daily YouTube videos that will help you work on your strength, flexibility and breath, gradually improving your practice over the month. All you’ll need is a yoga mat and between 15-30 minutes per day to practise.
5. Pull-up challenge
Being able to comfortably execute a pull up is often seen as the ultimate barometer in fitness. After all, it’s one of the toughest upper body moves going, testing your physical and mental endurance.
But forget the #See10Do10 push-up challenge that’s currently doing the rounds on social media; the 10 pull-up challenge is a far more savage version that promises to take you several steps further than everyone else. Prepare to be transformed from a shaky novice to a pull-up master in a matter of months, sculpting your arms, back and shoulders in the process.
6. Plank challenge
The plank challenge is a simple as it sounds: hold this excruciatingly difficult pose for a portion of time every day. Each day of the challenge, you’ll gradually increase the amount of time that you hold a plank. .
Start with just 20 seconds and at the end of the 30 days, the goal is to hold one for up to five minutes at a time.
7. The seven-minute workout challenge
The seven-minute workout is a body weight routine that was designed by exercise scientists from the American College of Sport Medicine. The researchers found that just seven minutes of high-intensity circuit training is the most efficient way to burn fat and stay fit and healthy in daily life.
There are countless seven-minute workout apps available, but they all centre around the same basic rule: you perform 12 exercises for 30 seconds each, with 10 seconds of rest in between, totalling seven minutes.
8. 500 bodyweight challenge
The 500 Bodyweight Challenge was started by Greg Brookes (gbpersonaltraining.com), a personal trainer who wanted to devise a series of ten body weight exercises that you can do anywhere without any equipment.
The ten moves include push-ups, fast and slow mountain climbers, cossacks, burpees, forward lunges and squat thrusts, and the idea is that you do 50 repetitions of each one (totalling 500 reps altogether). The current record time for the entire workout is a cool 11 minutes and 31 seconds, for those who fancy taking on the reigning champ.
9. Six-week handstand challenge
Inversions can seem incredibly intimidating at first, but with a bit of practise under a soft surface, there’s no reason why you can’t master this impressive skill. The trick is to build up to it over a few weeks.
There are lots of different variations of the handstand challenge online, like the 12-Minute Athlete (12minuteathlete.com), which introduces different exercises you can do to help you build up to the ultimate goal of doing a freestanding handstand.
10. Deadlift challenge
If you’re lucky enough to have a home gym, now is a great time to work on your deadlifts.
The deadlift challenge isn’t about hitting lots of reps, but improving the weight that you’re able to lift. You should increase the weight by no more than 10% at a time to your routine to ensure your body stays challenged, and remember to only add weight if you’re feeling ready for it. Weightlifting is a gradual process and if you’re feeling tired or sore, upping your load could leave you especially vulnerable to injury.
Best-selling home gym equipment
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- 【Detachable & Adjustable Bench】- Come with a detachable bench,ergonomically designed with thick cushions for comfortable support.4 adjustable heights to meet different exercise needs.Supports to...
- 【6-Levels Adjustable Height】- 6 levels height adjustment,and the adjustable height ranges in 65"-93"(188-213cm),you can adjust the height to fit your needs during workout.Supports to 330...
- 【Heavy Duty Construction】- The heavy-duty steel tube frame ensures steady support for the power tower.U shaped frame base with skid resistant feet,safe and stable.With anti-kid push up handle.
- 【ALL-IN-ONE HOME GYM EQUIPMENT SYSTEM】For maximizing the number and types of movements available, Gonex portable home gym provides even more accessories which include not only the base,...
- 【SAFETY, USABILITY & ADAPTABILITY】The training base built to last with upgraded Nylon. It can withstand Max.300lbs pressure and 250lbs tension. With non-slip bottom, Gonex home workout equipment...
- 【YOUR EXCLUSIVE FITNESS COACH】Professional Fitness INSTRUCTION MANUAL and VIDEO: According to our home gym workout equipment, professional fitness coach specially designed 43-page full-body muscle...
- 【3-IN-1 HOME WORKOUT EQUIPMENT】: Dual wheel abdominal exercise roller set with push-up bars, skipping rope and knee pad is ideal for anyone wants to strengthen your core strength and shape better...
- 【STABLE AB ABDOMINAL EXERCISE ROLLER WITH EXTRA SOFT KNEE PAD】: Ultra-wide ab abdominal exercise roller with stands up to 660 lbs strong bearing capacity. Non-slip foam handle reduces hand fatigue...
- 【SLIP-RESISTANT PUSH UP BARS】: Push Up Bars are sturdy enough to support any weight. The handles of the push up bars are covered by foam, which is soft and sweat-absorbent. It will provide you...
- [7-IN-1 Ab Roller Wheel Kit]: Dual wheel abdominal exercise roller set with push-up bars, resistance bands, skipping rope ,hand grip and knee pad is an ideal choice for people who wants to enhence...
- [8 pieces of sculpted abs]: AERLANG AB rollers are more stable and more effective for abdominal carvings. It works with push-ups to help you do more intense abdominal exercises in less time! It will...
- [Perfect figure in 0.4 minutes]: The AB roller and Other components are easy to assemble and disassemble due to its humanized design, The core abdominal muscle training kit can installed out in 0.4...
- Excellent home training hub for complete power training. Perform a wide variety of efficient and challenging strength exercises to build the body you’ve always wanted from the comfort of your own...
- All-in-one machine with stations to work your arms, legs, back, chest and more for a stronger and balanced figure. Workout stations include: high & low pulley, dual-action chest station (chest press...
- Exercises: Pulldowns, rows, shoulder raises, bicep curls, chest press, leg extensions, leg curls and inner / outer leg kicks and more! Increase muscle mass and toning across your whole body on this...
Last update on 2022-06-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This article may include affiliate links to products and services where we may receive a small fee to support the running of this site if you make a purchase or is a sponsored article from one of our select editorial partners providing valuable advice and information to our readers.