With millions of people across the UK continuing to spend the majority of their time indoors juggling work and family life, a new survey reveals a third of women are “not feeling very energetic” at the moment, compared to one in five men.
Feroglobin by Vitabiotics commissioned the study to see how Brits are faring, as recent Office for National Statistics reports that women’s well-being was more negatively affected than men’s during the first year of the pandemic.
Researchers found that a quarter of people right across the UK are “not feeling very energetic” at the moment (30% women, 19% men), with fewer than one in 10 (just 7%) stating they feel “very energetic” (6% women, 9% men).
While nearly half of those surveyed said they grab a caffeine fix and almost a third will take a power nap, the survey showed many are turning to exercise instead, with 67% of people opting to get out in fresh air to boost their energy levels.
According to registered nutritionist, Alice Godfrey: “There are many reasons why there is a lack of energy amongst the nation at the moment, which could include eating more processed foods and snacks, taking less exercise and raised anxiety and stress levels.
“When we’re in a heightened and stressed state, our bodies don’t function as well. Digestive function suffers and this can affect iron absorption from foods,” she explains.
“Essentially, less iron means less oxygen getting to our tissues and muscles which means we can’t make as much energy. In addition, women need more iron than men due to menstruation.”
Top tips for boosting your iron levels
“It might sound unrelated but actually creating some relaxation time in your day is likely to increase the amount of iron you are absorbing as well as giving you some time out to rest,” says Alice.
Here are her five tips for maintaining healthy iron levels.
- Include good levels of dark leafy greens, seeds and grass-fed meat if you eat meat
- For vegetarians, don’t rely on cheese as the main source of protein. Include tofu, pulses, nuts and seeds
- Avoid drinking tea or coffee alongside (non-meat) sources of iron as this can impair absorption
- Try to avoid too much sugar
- Address gastrointestinal problems including IBS symptoms, which can interfere with iron absorption
Discover more on the requirements of iron depending on age and gender here.
Best-selling iron supplements
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- Contains organic form of iron, folic acid and vitamin B12
- Provides an effective source of vital blood forming nutrients
- Designed to be gentle on the stomach
- ✔ GENTLE IRON TABLETS: Optimum Strength 14mg Iron Biglycerate pills providing 100% of your daily NRV and 100% RDA in one single, easy-to-swallow, once per day tablet. Delivers the maximum safe...
- ✔ BOOSTS ENERGY & METABOLISM - Iron contributes to normal formation of red blood cells and haemoglobin and normal oxygen transportation. Iron contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue...
- ✔ GENTLE ON THE STOMACH & HIGHLY ABSORBABLE - VitaBright’s Natural Iron Bisglycinate is a form of iron more commonly known as “gentle iron” because it is ideal for sensitive stomachs,...
- Highly absorbable unique form of iron
- Useful for those with a restricted diet such as Vegans and Vegetarians
- Gentle on the stomach / Ideal for sensitive stomachs
- ✔ WHY OUR IRON SUPPLEMENT? – The perfect mix of gentle on the stomach iron, Vitamin B6, B12, C (to aid absorption), Folic Acid, Zinc and Copper in one easy to swallow capsule. We only use Iron...
- ✔ REDUCTION OF TIREDNESS AND FATIGUE - Iron is an important mineral for your body because it contributes to the normal formation of red blood cells and haemoglobin which in turn contributes to the...
- ✔ THE BLEND? – The blend has been formulated to give the following substantiated benefits: the reduction of tiredness & fatigue, normal energy yielding metabolism (B12, Folic Acid), normal red...
- ✔ PREMIUM DAILY IRON TABLET SUPPLEMENT - Looking for natural iron supplements to support your daily wellness? Try our high strength natural iron tablets for blood, energy levels, and immune system...
- ✔ FOR HEALTHY BLOOD & OXYGEN TRANSPORT - Iron contributes to normal formation of red blood cells and haemoglobin, which forms the foundation of having healthy blood and circulation. Also Iron...
- ✔ FEEL AWAKE AND ALIVE WITH OUR IRON TABLETS - Aside from just healthy blood, Iron contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue so that you can feel more awake and alert on a daily basis...
Last update on 2021-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
You may also be interested in…
Wise Living Magazine may receive a small commission to help support the running of this site from purchases made from links on this page, or some links may have been sponsored to be included in the article. Affiliate or sponsored links do not influence our editorial or articles published by Wise Living.