“Pick your own blackberries in the late summer for this perfect light pudding – and freeze some to use later in the year as well,” recommends Mary Berry.
“You can purée the blackberries in a food processor after cooking, as this makes it easier to pass them through a sieve.”
Wild bramble mousse
- 1.1 litre (2 pint) glass dish or six small dishes
- 2 bowl
- 600 g blackberries
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 175 g caster sugar
- 5 leaves gelatine
- 150 ml pouring double cream
- 2 egg whites
- 50 g blackberries
- icing sugar for dusting
- 100 ml whipped cream
- You will need a 1.1 litre (2 pint) glass dish or six small dishes.
- Tip the blackberries, lemon juice and 75g of the caster sugar into a saucepan. Stir, cover the pan and simmer for five to eight minutes until soft. Pass the blackberries through a sieve back into the pan, then discard the seeds. Reheat until piping hot.
- Put the gelatine leaves into a bowl of cold water and leave for five minutes. Squeeze the water from the gelatine leaves and add them to the hot blackberry juice. Stir until dissolved. Set the mixture aside until it is cold and has thickened slightly.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks. In a separate, clean bowl, whisk the egg whites, adding the remaining 100g of caster sugar a teaspoon at a time. Keep whisking until all the sugar has been incorporated and the whites are stiff and look like a cloud (as for a meringue). Take care not to over whisk or it will be tricky to incorporate the egg whites into the blackberries.
- Add two large tablespoons of the whipped cream to the blackberry and gelatine mixture and stir in gently. Carefully fold in the rest of the cream and the egg whites until the mixture is smooth and light, with no white bits visible. Pour into the dish or dishes and place in the fridge for about six hours, or ideally overnight, to chill and set.
- Decorate with a few blackberries, dust with icing sugar and serve with some whipped cream.
Simple Comforts by Mary Berry is published by BBC Books. Photography Laura Edwards.
You may also be interested in…
Wise Living Magazine may receive a small commission to help support the running of this site from purchases made from links on this page, or some links may have been sponsored to be included in the article. Affiliate or sponsored links do not influence our editorial or articles published by Wise Living.