Made with plant-based milk, nut butter and no eggs, these gorgeously gooey brownies from The Hairy Bikers’ Veggie Feasts are vegan-friendly and easy to make.
- 20x20cm tin
- 275 ml plant-based milk any sort
- 150 ml groundnut or walnut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 60 ml hot water
- 125 g plain flour
- 125 g cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 100 g light soft brown sugar
- 75 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150 g vegan chocolate chips
- 100 g nut butter any sort
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Line a 20 x 20cm brownie tin with baking paper or brush with cake-release spray.
- Whisk the milk, oil and vanilla extract together in a bowl and set aside. Mix the ground flax seeds with the hot water and leave to stand for five minutes. Whisk all the remaining ingredients, except the chocolate chips and the nut butter, together in a separate bowl.
- Beat the flax seeds into the wet ingredients, then add the dry mixture and fold in as gently as you can. Add the chocolate chips.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin. Dot spoonfuls of the nut butter all over the batter, then swirl it through, using the tip of a knife. Don’t mix it up too much!
- Bake for 20–25 minutes until the brownies have just set. Leave to cool completely, then cut into squares. If you want them extra fudgy, put them in the fridge for several hours. Otherwise transfer to an airtight container.
The Hairy Bikers’ Veggie Feasts by Si King and Dave Myers, photography by Andrew Hayes-Watkins, is published by Seven Dials.
You may also be interested in…
Wise Living Magazine may receive a small commission to help support the running of this site from purchases made from links on this page, or some links may have been sponsored to be included in the article. Affiliate or sponsored links do not influence our editorial or articles published by Wise Living.