With so many hours to fill in lockdown, now is the time to brush up on your baking skills reckons pastry chef Ravneet Gill. Her debut cookbook, The Pastry Chef’s Guide, offers straightforward recipes and step-by-step instructions for mastering cookies, cakes, puddings, custard, creme pat and much more. Try your hand at her ultimate lemon loaf cake.
Lemon loaf cake
- 900g/2lb loaf pan lined with baking parchment
- Stand mixer or hand-held electric whisk
- Mixing bowl
- 3 eggs
- 225 g caster sugar
- 75 g unsalted butter softened
- 100 ml double cream
- 180 g self-raising flour
- Pinch of fine salt
- Grated zest of 3 lemons
For the syrup:
- 75 g caster (superfine) sugar
- 100 ml plus 1 tbsp water
- Freshly squeezed juice of 2 lemons
For the icing:
- 200 g icing sugar plus more to taste
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1–2 lemons to taste
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan/180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 and line a 900g/2lb loaf pan with baking parchment.
- Put the eggs and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer or a mixing bowl. Beat together at a medium speed for three to five minutes until pale using the paddle attachment or a hand-held electric whisk. Don’t go mad and overwhip as this will affect the rise of the cake.
- Melt the butter completely in a saucepan, then remove from the heat and stir in the cream.
- Pour the cream and butter mixture slowly into the egg mixture and stir to by hand or at a low speed combine.
- Sift the flour and salt together, add to the egg mixture and fold through. Finally, fold in the lemon zest.
- Pour into the loaf pan and bake in the oven for 45–50 minutes until risen and golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, to make the syrup, put the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring a little, until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Allow to cool slightly.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan until it’s no longer hot to the touch but is still slightly warm. Poke multiple holes in the top of the loaf with a skewer and then pour over the warm syrup evenly. Allow to cool completely in the pan.
- Make the icing by whisking together the icing sugar and lemon juice, adding more of less of each to taste. Brush this over the cooled cake and leave to set for 10 minutes. Turn out and serve! Store the loaf in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days or freeze for up to one month.
The Pastry Chef’s Guide by Ravneet Gill is published by Pavilion Books. Photography Jessica Griffiths.
Best-selling loaf tins
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- No flaking, sticking, or crumbling anymore - You can unleash your cooking experiments and stop worrying about which recipes you can and can’t make because Dessyz bread pans are coated in Superior...
- Warp resistant & corrosion free- Our bread tins are designed for use in the toughest kitchen environments and manufactured from industrial-grade carbon steel that allows it to maintain its shape no...
- Fridge, freezer and oven-safe - No matter where your baking recipe requires you to store your delicious creation, in freezing or up to 230-degree temperatures, our 1lb &2lb loaf tin can comfortably...
- Made of super-strong 1.0mm commercial weight carbon steel. This 2lb loaf pan is perfect for baking up a variety of recipes including banana bread, pound cake and traditional loaves for the family.
- Uses a double-layer superior Whitford Eclipse coating, this 1 mm-thick tin is a lifetime purchase and won't warp, corrode or flake
- BPA and PTFE-free, each product from the Tala Performance range is manufacturerd by the finest, fully audited bakeware with state of the art non-stick spray coating facilities.
- Heavy duty carbon steel and an electroplated finish make it oven safe to 220°C, as well as warp and rust resistant
- The Quantum II coating releases baked loaves quickly and smoothly, making clean-ups easy
- Rounded corners give breads, cakes and meatloaves a nostalgic, homemade look
- 2lb Loaf Tin which is ideal for baking a wide range of Bread and Cakes
- This Mini Loaf Pan measures 13.5cm x 6.5cm x 3.5cm
- Made with Goldflon Non stick Coating for effortless quick and easy release
- Set of 2：2 pack silicone bread & loaf tins in-one-package
- Non-stick Pan: The flexible silicone and non-stick finish allow for easy and quick release of baked goods and desserts, stain- and odor-resistant.
- 100% Food Grade Silicone:The loaf tins for baking constructed of high-quality Eco-friendly 100 % pure food grade silicone, conforms to the American FDA quality.
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This article may include affiliate links to products and services where we may receive a small fee to support the running of this site if you make a purchase or is a sponsored article from one of our select editorial partners providing valuable advice and information to our readers.