“Coconut is my favourite fruit in the world. I love it because it’s so versatile: from starter to dessert, the possibilities are endless,” says cookbook author, Vanessa Bolosier. “I created this recipe because I love coconut souskay – a traditional Martinique recipe – but always felt it lacked something, a bit of a kick, creaminess, texture…
“This recipe is one of my guests’ favourite, always on the request list for menus at my supper clubs.”
Coconut slaw recipe
- 1 coconut
- 1/4 carrot coarsely grated
- 1 small piece (about 3cm) fresh ginger finely grated
- 1/4 Scotch bonnet chilli very finely chopped (optional)
- 1 lime
- 4 tbsp coconut milk
- Break the husk of the coconut and scoop out the meat. Wash the meat and pat dry with paper towels. Coarsely grate the coconut meat into a mixing bowl.
- Add the carrot, ginger and chilli and season with salt to taste.
- Squeeze in the lime juice, add the coconut milk and stir to mix evenly. Cover with clingfilm and place in the refrigerator for one hour before serving.
Sunshine Kitchen: Delicious Creole Recipes From The Heart Of The Caribbean by Vanessa Bolosier is published by Pavilion Books. Photography by Clare Winfield.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Bolosier, Vanessa (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
Last update on 2021-08-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API