Tasty and very moreish these savoury scones should be served warm with the butter gently melting so you can swirl in a nutty-sweet stick of celery. It makes a perfect combination ideal for a light lunch or teatime treat.
Cheese, celery and walnut scones with parsley butter
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50 g butter
- 125 g mature cheddar cheese grated
- 2 celery stalks
- 50 g walnuts roughly chopped
- 1 large free-range egg
- 6 tbsp milk (approx)
For the parsley butter:
- 50 g butter softened
- 2 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- Preheat oven 220°C /200°C fan/ gas 7 and grease a baking tray.
- Place the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs and then stir in the finely chopped Fenland celery,100g of the grated cheese and the chopped walnuts.
- Break the egg into a measuring jug, lightly beat and make up to 150ml with the milk, add all but a small amount, reserve to brush the tops with. Mix gently until you have a soft dough.
- Knead lightly on a floured surface and roll out to approx. 2 cm thick, cut into 6 cm rounds and place on the baking tray, re-roll any trimmings.
- Brush the tops with a little of the reserved egg mix and sprinkle with the remaining cheese, bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Mix together the softened butter and parsley, serve the scones warm, split in half and topped with the butter with the remaining celery to crunch along with.
Recipe courtesy of Love Celery
Best-selling pastry cutters for scones
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- Traditional tin plated design
- Made of metal
- Set includes 3 sizes pastry cutters in circle shapes
- Use to cut into pastry, sugarpaste, cookies and biscuits - perfect for creating freshly made personlised baked goods
- Set of 3 varying sizes, small, medium and large
- Handwashing recommended to keep your cutters in pristine condition
- Package include 4 different sizes of round and wave stainless steel cookie cutters,diameter are 3.9inch, 3.1inch, 2.7inch, 2.2inch, and all are 1.6 inches high.
- The plastic hand guard is safe and comfortable to hold. The hand guard can be removed, easy to clean.
- Smooth incision, easier to demould.
- ROUND AND PLAIN: Don't go round in circles trying to make the best pies, tarts and scones. Keep it simple with this pastry cutter set
- KEEP HANDS CLEAN: Made from plastic, the handles help you create nice circular shapes while keeping your fingers away from sticky mixes
- VERSATILE CUTTERS FOR BAKING: Home baking is fun and easy. Make tasty fruit tarts, magical mince pies, scrummy scones and more
- EASY TO CLEAN: Just rinse with hot water and dry to clean easily, scone cutters are dishwasher safe.
- WIDELY USED: the cookie cutter round are ideal for making mini pastry, gum paste, donuts, cakes, biscuits, small pancakes, chocolate decoration, sandwich,ect.
- HIGH QUALITY: The pastry cutters is BPA-free, non-toxic, tasteless, soft, and will not hurt your hands.
Last update on 2021-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
You may also be interested in…
Wise Living Magazine may receive a small commission to help support the running of this site from purchases made from links on this page, or some links may have been sponsored to be included in the article. Affiliate or sponsored links do not influence our editorial or articles published by Wise Living.