“This cake is one of the best cakes I have ever made,” says food writer Letitia Clark. “It’s a little chewy at the edges, tart and juicy on the top, moist, squidgy and buttery inside.
“The tartness of the apricots marries perfectly with the almonds and cuts through the richness of the sponge; the caramelised top adds an edge of fudgy-intrigue, and the exotic scent of orange blossom lifts the whole lot into the arena of the angels.”
Caramelised apricot upside-down cake with almond and orange blossom
- 23cm (9in) cake tin
- Mixing bowl
- electric mixer
For the apricots:
- 15 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 7 - 8 apricots
- 140 g sugar
- 60 ml water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (use the same lemon for the zest)
For the cake:
- 175 g butter, butter, softened, plus extra to grease
- 175 g caster sugar
- A pinch of sea salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 eggs
- 100 g 00 or plain flour
- 100 g ground almonds
- 100 ml yoghurt, plus extra to serve
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp orange blossom water
- Mascarpone, to serve (optional)
- Grease a 23cm (9in) cake tin with butter and line with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350 F/Gas 4).
- Halve the apricots and remove the stones. Set aside.
- Put the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat gently, swirling the pan rather than stirring to dissolve the sugar. Watch carefully until the mixture turns a light coffee colour, swirling occasionally to make sure the caramelisation is even. When the mixture is caramel coloured, remove from the heat.
- Add the butter and turn the heat down to low, stirring until it all comes together. Add the lemon juice and stir well. You should now have a smooth caramel.
- Pour the liquid caramel into the lined cake tin and smooth it out to form an even layer. Add the apricots, placing them close to each other, cut-side down.
- For the cake, in a mixing bowl and using an electric mixer (or in the bowl of a stand mixer), cream the butter and sugar with the salt and lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one by one, until incorporated. Add the flour and the ground almonds and mix again. Finally add the yoghurt, baking powder and the orange blossom water. Stir to form a smooth batter, then ladle into the prepared tin.
- Smooth the top, then bake in the oven for 45–50 minutes, until golden and risen. Allow to cool for a few minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve with yoghurt or a blob of mascarpone.
La Vita è Dolce by Letitia Clark is published by Hardie Grant.. Photography by Charlotte Bland.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Clark, Letitia (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
Last update on 2021-09-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best-selling 23cm springform cake tins
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- Springform and loose base, Ideal for baking homemade cakes
- 23cm (9 Inch) Diameter
- Made with Goldflon Non stick Coating for effortless quick and easy release
- TRUSTED SINCE 1850: MasterClass's award-winning* bakeware is built to last for years, and boasts a 20 years guarantee (5 years non stick)
- EASY RELEASE: this cake pan has a secure springform clasp, so it’s easy to remove your cakes without damage
- SUPREME PERFORMANCE: its 1 mm thick carbon steel body ensures smooth heat transfer, while 2 robust non stick layers make cleaning simple
- 23cm Spring form cake tin
- Uses a double-layer superior Whitford Eclipse coating, this 1 mm-thick tin is a lifetime purchase and won't warp, corrode or flake.
- BPA and PTFE-free, each product from the Tala Performance range is manufacturerd by the finest, fully audited bakeware with state of the art non-stick spray coating facilities.
- LARGE SQUARE CAKE TIN WITH SPRINGFORM CLASP - perfect for making delicate desserts like mousse cakes and cheesecakes as well as baking fruit cakes and sponges - simply unclip the clasp to remove the...
- 2 COAT NON-STICK COATING - for excellent performance, so that your cakes and traybakes release cleanly without sticking or burning
- FRIDGE, FREEZER AND OVEN SAFE - made from top quality carbon steel and extenstively tested to ensure it does not bend or flex, the tin is ideal for making oven baked cakes as well as chilled or frozen...
- NON STICK CUSHIONED BASE - This springform tin is equipped with a helpful cushioned based for a perfect non stick performance allowing you to release your creations with ease.
- FRIDGE AND FREEZER SAFE - You can use this 22cm springform cake tin in the fridge and the freezer giving you the flexibility to express your creativity and create any type of desserts.
- DISHWASER SAFE - Save some time and put this 9in springform cake tin straight in the dishwasher after use. Spend more time enjoying your creations with your family and friends.
Last update on 2021-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API