“When you feel in need of a comfort pudding, this one really fits the. bill,” says the legend that is Mary Berry. “It’s perfect for Sunday lunch, served warm with ice cream, custard, cream or crème fraîche.”
Brioche frangipane apple pudding
- Large, shallow ovenproof dish, about 28cm in diameter
- Food processor
- Small pan
- 1/2 brioche loaf
- 175 g butter softened, plus extra for greasing
- 175 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 175 g ground almonds
- 3 egg beaten
- 25 g plain flour
- 2 red dessert apples skin on, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds toasted
- icing sugar for dusting
- You will need a large, shallow ovenproof dish, about 28cm in diameter. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6 and grease the dish with butter.
- Slice the brioche into thin slices, about 5mm (quarter of an inch), and arrange these over the base of the dish. Make sure you cover the base and fill in all the gaps, but don’t overlap the slices.
- Measure the butter and sugar into a food processor and whizz until pale and fluffy. Add the almond extract, ground almonds, eggs and flour, then whizz again until the mixture is soft and creamy and there are no lumps. Be careful not to over-process.
- Spoon the mixture over the brioche base and spread it to the sides. Arrange the sliced apples in a neat overlapping circular pattern over the top. Bake the pudding in the oven for about 40 minutes until lightly golden all over and firm in the centre when lightly pressed.
- Melt the jam with two tablespoons of water in a small pan. Brush over the surface and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Dust the pudding with icing sugar and serve warm.
Simple Comforts by Mary Berry is published by BBC Books. Photography Laura Edwards.
You may also be interested in…Wise Living Magazine may receive a small commission to help support the running of this site from purchases made from links on this page, or some links may have been sponsored to be included in the article. Affiliate or sponsored links do not influence our editorial or articles published by Wise Living.