Here’s a showstopper of a low-and-slow-cook dish to crown your own American party (stars and stripes bunting, optional).
BBQ Pulled Pork Sloppy Style
- Roasting tin
- Large bowl
- 1.2 kg pork shoulder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp French’s Kansas City Classic BBQ Sauce
For the gravy
- 1 onion finely chopped
- oil for frying
- 2 tsp gravy granules
- 150 ml boiling water
- 3 tbsp French’s Kansas City Classic BBQ Sauce
For the slaw
- half a small red cabbage shredded
- 1 small carrot shredded or grated
- 2 spring onions sliced
- 1 tsp black onion seeds
- 2 tsp French’s Classic Yellow Mustard
- 1 tbsp crème fraiche
- crusty baps
- gherkins and chilli slices (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas mark 6. Place the pork in a roasting tin, rub in the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 30 minutes then reduce the oven temp to 150C, brush two tablespoons of French’s Kansas City Classic BBQ Sauce all over and cook for another two and a half hours. Cover with foil and leave to rest for 30 minutes, then pull apart using two forks. Stir in the last two tablespoons of BBQ sauce.
- For the gravy, heat some oil in a pan and fry the onion for 10 minutes until softened. Add the gravy granules and 150ml boiling water, then stir over a low heat until thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the French’s Kansas City Classic BBQ Sauce, keep warm.
- To make the slaw, combine the cabbage, carrot, spring onions and seeds in a large bowl. Mix together the French’s Classic Yellow Mustard and crème fraiche and stir into the cabbage.
- Split the baps, top with the lettuce, some pork, slaw, gherkins and chilli, and serve the hot gravy alongside.
Recipe by French’s