Celebrate British asparagus season with a delicious creamy risotto that combines tender asparagus spears with juicy pan fried scallops. An elegant dish for lunch or date night.
Asparagus risotto with pan fried scallops
- Frying pan
- 250 g British asparagus spears trimmed and cut into thirds
- 50 g butter
- 2 echalion shallots chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove
- 200 g arborio rice
- 60 ml white wine
- 500 ml hot fish or vegetable stock
- 200 g scallops patted dry and seasoned
- Finely grated rind of a lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 50 g Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and black pepper
- To start, bring a saucepan of water to boil and briefly blanch the asparagus. Drain the asparagus and refresh in cold water, set to one side.
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the chopped echalion and garlic and cook gently until soft, for about five minutes.
- Add the rice and allow to cook, stirring for a minute or so, then pour in the wine and allow to bubble.
- Add a ladleful of hot stock and stir until absorbed, keep going until all the stock is incorporated.
- When the risotto is almost ready, add the asparagus and give it a stir. Put a lid on, turn the heat off and let it rest.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and when foaming, put the scallops in the pan and allow to cook for a couple of minutes until they are nicely browned. Turn them over and cook on the other side.
- Meanwhile add the lemon zest, chopped chives and seasoning to the risotto.
- Serve the risotto in wide bowls with the scallops on top and the Parmesan on the side to sprinkle as desired.
Recipe courtesy of British Asparagus
Best-selling asparagus cookers
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- 16 cm pot with removable wire basket - steam cook asparagus, corn on the cob and more
- Tempered glass lid with steam vent for more accurate cooking
- Dishwasher-safe stainless steel construction with mirror finish
- UNIQUE DESIGN: The tall Navaris Asparagus Pot is specially designed to steam asparagus or cook spaghetti without you needing to break them in halves. This steamer keeps them upright to cook evenly and...
- INCLUDES BASKET: The pasta boiling pot includes a mesh basket with a handle, which makes it easier to drain asparagus, vegetables or pasta without needing a separate colander.
- HOW TO USE: Place asparagus, noodles, or vegetables like potatoes, broccoli and corn on the cob inside the mesh insert. Steam or boil in the pot with water until ready. When finished cooking, lift the...
- Manufactured in Stainless Steel
- Simple sturdy design
- German quality
- 18/10 STAINLESS STEEL - With a mirror finish outside, and a satin finish inside, this asparagus steamer is constructed from beautiful and durable stainless-steel. It’s the perfect long lasting and...
- MULTI USE - This practical cookware can be used with a variety of vegetables in addition to asparagus, and can be used for steaming or blanching. lid keeps moisture in pot, fast cooking and boiling...
- INCLUDES LID AND BASKET - The pot comes with the mesh steamer basket and a tempered glass lid that has a vent hole to release excess moisture. The handles on both sides facilitate the movement of the...
- SUPERIOR COOKING SURFACE - High polished stainless steel cooking surface with starburst finish offers superior stick resistance and easy maintenance, plus won’t react with food, does not discolor,...
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION - Heavy duty warp-free strength, thickened 4-ply impact bonded bottom construction consists of durable stainless steel encapsulating an aluminum core, providing fast even heating...
- HEAT-RESISTANT HANDLE - Contoured stainless steel handles are ergonomically designed, permanently welding secured, provides you a safety and stay-cool comfortable grip, dishwasher safe, oven safe
Last update on 2021-05-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
You may also be interested in…Wise Living Magazine may receive a small commission to help support the running of this site from purchases made from links on this page, or some links may have been sponsored to be included in the article. Affiliate or sponsored links do not influence our editorial or articles published by Wise Living.