Move over, sourdough, there’s a new bread on the block, and it doesn’t require days of painstakingly tending to a starter of flour and water before you can make it.
Cloud bread is the latest bake to go viral, and when you see how simple it is, you’re going to want to get involved.
The name is slightly misleading, however. Cloud bread is more like a cross between a sponge cake and a meringue, because it’s sweet and the main ingredient is egg whites.
Requiring just three ingredients, the recipe has become the latest food trend to go viral on TikTok, and it’s easy to see why.
Not only is cloud bread easy to make, it’s pretty to look at too, and ideal for showcasing on social media – you need a shot of the cooled cake being torn in two, revealing the soft, spongy inside.
Bakers have also been coming up with their own variations on the basic recipe, adding food colourings and flavour extracts, cookie crumbs and nuts.
It’s unclear where the recipe actually originated, but many people are crediting TikTok user Linqanaaa.
It’s also important to point out that this year’s cloud bread is different to a recipe of the same name that went viral a few years back, a kind of low carb flatbread.
Here’s how to make a basic version of cloud bread…
- Electric whisk
- Baking tray
- 3 eggs
- 30 g white sugar
- 10 g corn starch
- Food colouring (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 150 C (300 F)
- Start whisking the egg whites in a large bowl – you can use a hand whisk, but an electric mixer will make the process faster. You want them to look light and frothy.
- Continue to whisk, gradually adding in the sugar until it’s all incorporated.
- Follow with the corn starch, adding half at a time, then a couple of drops of food colouring if you wish.
- Whisk until the mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks (don’t over whip!), then tip the mixture onto a tray lined with baking paper and use a knife to mould it into a rounded loaf shape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, until the outside has turned a light brown.
- Leave to cool before eating – and posting a video online.