After a disappointing start to the summer, the recent heatwave has lead to a boom in cherry crops, with growers reporting a massive yield of the stone fruit.
In response, Tesco has ordered an extra 115 tonnes to stop the glut going to waste, with supplies arriving in supermarkets imminently.
Looking forward to tucking into the juicy fruits? Here are some interesting ideas for how to enjoy cherries, that go beyond just jam and Bakewell tart…
Preserved in vinegar, pickled cherries are tangy and delicious, perfect for serving with cheese and biscuits, cured meats or roast pork.
2. Wrapped in bacon
A fruity alternative to pigs in blankets, bacon and cherry bites are a sweet-meets-savoury canapé creation, and they’re gluten free too.
3. Folded into calzone
Inspired by the folded pizza, sweet and creamy cherry calzones are filled with red cherries, cream cheese and sliced almonds.
4. As a marshmallow flavouring
Using agar agar powder instead of gelatin, these vegan cherry marshmallows are a rich pink colour and have a delicious fruity flavour.
5. In a bottle of cherry wine
One for the grown-ups (and the home brewers) you can make your own boozy cherry wine if you’ve got the right equipment – and the patience to wait six months for the fermentation process to finish.
6. Added to s’mores
Take the classic campfire confection to the next level by sandwiching graham crackers with roasted cherries (or a spoonful of jam), marshmallows and chocolate, to create cherry s’mores.
Best-selling cherry pitters
Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- Splatter Shield protects work area from juices and removes for cleaning
- Sturdy, die-cast zinc construction removes pits with ease
- Soft, comfortable non-slip handles absorb pressure
- Pits up to 6 cherries in a single motion
- DIY Hands stay mess-free with the removable base that catches pits and juice
- Non-Skid base keeps the pitter stable, while zinc prongs push pits through
- Cherry stone remover for easy and effortless pitting of cherries, Made of sturdy aluminium with special food-safe coating
- Easy, one-handed operation thanks to simple pressure system, Clean and fast removal of pits with star-shaped pestle, Also suitable for fruit with stems - simply insert with stem facing downwards
- Plier-style handle for comfortable and secure hold, Slim dimensions for easy storage in any kitchen drawer
- Removes stones from cherries
- 16cm Length
- Remove pesky stones from cherries and olives in seconds. No mess, no fiddliness!
- Clever countertop design means it de-stones in 1 easy action. It's as easy as using a rubber stamp!
- Pits and stones drop into a container for easy disposal and 100% mess-free operation. It can hold up to 30 stones
Last update on 2021-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API