If you invest a fair amount of time and energy in make-up, but don’t have much of a skincare routine, you really could be missing a trick.
Healthy skin is arguably the building block of any beauty look – and no one knows this better than Dominic Skinner, global senior make-up artist at MAC Cosmetics.
It might be surprising to hear a make-up artist telling you to focus more on moisturisers and serums than eyeshadows and foundation, but it really does make sense.
“The more you treat, condition and prepare the skin, the less make-up you need, the better you end up looking, and the longer it lasts throughout the day,” Skinner explains. “So it really is a knock-on effect.”
Don’t worry though, he isn’t turning his back on make-up entirely. In fact, he refers to make-up as the “fun part”, made better if you’ve properly tended to the canvas beneath.
Perfect skin and makeup
He’s even devised what he refers to as a “mathematical equation” for the relationship between your skin and make-up. “I always say, for every one piece of make-up, put on two pieces of skincare,” he says. “It’s 70% preparation and 30% application, and if you work on that idea, you really can’t go wrong.”
Another thing Skinner considers absolutely vital: removing your make-up. “However long it takes you to do your make-up in the mornings, how long does it take you to take it off at night?” he asks. “If you were taking 20 minutes, but then you’re spending 30 seconds with a wet wipe at the end of the day, things are going wrong.” Taking your make-up off properly and giving your skin a bit of love at the end of the day can help it look bouncier and glowier, helping foundation and other products go on flawlessly come morning.
Skinner is hardly alone in his skincare obsession. In the past few years, the industry has exploded, with people becoming increasingly conscious about what they put on their face. Skinner credits this popularity to social media, saying: “I think people want the idea of Instagram filters in real life.”
“They see themselves in a filter and think, ‘Oh my God, I look amazing’,” and perfect skin is a step towards achieving this. Skinner has also seen a growing trend of “people wanting that pore-less, flawless skin”.
Skinner’s enthusiasm when talking about his favourite creams and face masks is infectious. “I am like a Korean woman when it comes to skincare!” he says with a laugh. “I don’t really wear a lot of make-up – maybe a little concealer or powder – but I go through probably about 12 different skincare products before I even leave the house.” And yes, that includes three separate eye creams which he insists all have a job to do.
He is a “big believer in masks”, and currently can’t get enough of AHA exfoliating masks. AHA stands for alpha hydroxy acids – a holy grail group of skincare ingredients, including glycolic and lactic acids – chemical exfoliants that help remove dead skin cells.
Skinner also uses skincare as an opportunity to practice self-care and give himself a bit of me-time. “Skincare Sundays is the day where I spend about eight hours doing skincare, and I love it,” he says – and considering his utter devotion to the cause, we’re not entirely sure he’s joking about eight hours…
Best-selling face sheet masks
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- Garnier Sheet Mask Discovery Collection, discover the perfect face mask for your skin's needs, These sheet masks are created with ultra-thin tissue and infused with intensely hydrating serum
- A mask for every skin concern: hydrates, replumps & refreshes, For a rosy glow, Brightens eye contours and awakens skin
- Unfold the mask and gently apply on clean face, Adjust the mask to the contours of your face and leave on for 15 minutes
- WHAT'S YOUR FLAVOR? 12 recipes and flavors to choose from based on your SKIN CONCERN
- LEAPING BUNNY CERTIFIED : Animal cruelty free !
- DESIGNED IN CALIFORNIA and MADE IN KOREA, from the heart of the K-beauty scene
- Garnier Moisture Bomb Pomegranate Sheet Mask - a super hydrating revitalising face mask for dehydrated and tired skin
- The No1 Sheet Mask brand to intensely rehydrate skin, reduce the look of fine lines, tired and dull skin and revive radiance for glowing skin
- Enriched with natural extracts and plant serums; Pomegranate, Lavender, Green Tea, Sakura, Chamomile, each mask is also infused with Hyaluronic Acid
- INGREDIENT Fruit Extract, Purse Extract, Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Essence.
- COCONUT EXTRACT BRIGHTENS SKIN: CONTAINS NATURAL COCONUT JUICE, COCONUT JUICE EXTRACT HELPS REDUCE SKIN AGING AND ENHANCES THE NATURAL PENETRATION OF THE CLOSE CONNECTIONS BETWEEN SKIN...
- GOLDEN KIWI NUTRITION: CONTAINS THE ESSENCE OF NEW ZEALAND KIWI FRUIT, SUPPLEMENTS THE SKIN WITH NUTRIENTS AND VITAMIN C, AND CONTINUOUSLY KEEPS THE SKIN MOISTURIZED. KEEP AWAY FROM DRYNESS, MAKE...
- MEAROSA* Facial Sheet Mask (8sheets) Premium Quality ★CRUELTY FREE★
- Contains lots of Vitamin C Serum Collagen Essence(25ml/0.85floz) ★Natural Ingredients★
- It's GOOD to apply our sheet mask DAILY for SENSITIVE SKIN.(STORE the sheet masks in the refrigerator!)
Last update on 2021-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
You may also be interested in…Wise Living Magazine may receive a small commission to help support the running of this site from purchases made from links on this page, or some links may have been sponsored to be included in the article. Affiliate or sponsored links do not influence our editorial or articles published by Wise Living.