If, like me, you want long, full lashes but can’t – no matter how hard you try – get to grips with falsies, and don’t want to shell out £30 a time for salon extensions, you may be surprised to learn that there is another way.
Halfway between strip lashes and extensions, Lashify lets you apply short lash sections one at a time, promising a professional, long-lasting look that anyone can achieve at home.
But is it really so simple? Here’s how I got on when I tried the DIY approach.
How does Lashify work?
To start with, you need to buy the Lashify Control Kit, £115, which provides you with a Fuse Control Wand (specially shaped tweezers, essentially) to position the lashes, glue to hold them in place, Glass finishing coat and two sets of Gossamer Lashes (priced from £10), which come in three styles: A (amplify), B (bold) or C (curl); and six different lengths. Each set contains 12 lashes.
Unlike most false eyelashes, which are applied above the lash line and glue directly to your skin, with Lashify you place them underneath and glue them to the lash hair, not the skin.
Is it easy to use?
After my Control Kit arrives I jump on a Zoom call with Lashify’s director of educational training Vanessa Quinteros (any customer can book a free video call with an expert), who gets me to practise holding the wand correctly, applying the lashes and squeezing my upper lashes with the wand to seal them in place. She recommends having one mirror in front of you and a smaller one on the table so you can look down into it.
I use a cotton pad to cleanse my lashes and make sure they’re free of any mascara or make-up, then allow them to dry. With the spoolie end of the Whisper Light Dual-Sided Bond, I wiggle a fine coat of glue at the base of my upper lashes (as if applying mascara only to the roots) then follow up with a few tiny dots using the brush end. The bond should go 1mm to 2mm above the waterline.
Placing a few A12 Gossamer lashes in front of me, I pick up the first one and am amazed when I manage to deposit it on the outer corner of my right eye with ease, looking down into the mirror using the end of the wand to push it into place. The next one is a bit more fiddly and I have to make three attempts before I get it to stick.
With three lashes in place, I decide that’s enough (my eyes are quite round so I don’t want to go too far in). I pop the Wandoms (small plastic covers) onto the ends of the wand, slowly position them on either side of my lashes and squeeze to ‘fuse’ the lashes, then finish with a coat of clear Glass which neatly combs the lashes and removes any sticky residue.
My left eye is more tricky and when I examine my handiwork more closely I realise one of the lashes is rather wonky, but on the whole, I’m happy with how they look.
The real test comes a few days later when I have to go it alone. Using the how-to guide as a reminder, I follow the steps again, this time starting with one lash on the outside of the lash line and one towards the inner corner, finishing with one in the middle.
It takes about 20 minutes (mainly because I keep checking the instructions to make sure I’m doing it right) but once I’ve completed my make-up with a smoky eye look I’m loving my extra-long lashes. With Lashify you don’t use mascara – if you want a more exaggerated look choose the B (bold) Gossamers.
How long do the lashes last?
According to Lashify, the lashes will last up to 10 days, but I have to admit I’ve ended up pulling my lashes off the next morning, simply because I sleep with an eye mask on. While the silk mask didn’t destroy the lashes completely, they looked a bit messy by the morning and I only wanted them for one night anyway.
In future, I’m going to forgo my eye mask and see how long I can get the lashes to stay in place. The glue is waterproof but I found they were easy to gently pull off without losing any of my lashes at the same time.
I was surprised at how quickly I got the hang of Lashify, particularly as I’ve struggled so much with strip lashes in the past. I’m now totally hooked and will be wearing them whenever I’m getting glammed up for a night out.
Being able to choose how many lashes you apply to each eye means that it’s a more bespoke approach, and having so many Gossamer styles to choose from allows you to tailor and switch up your look, from natural to bold. Next, I’m going to try mixing different lengths so I can apply shorter lashes towards to inside and longer on the outside.
At £115 for the starter kit, this is quite an investment, but the tools, glue and sealing gloss will last a long time, and you can buy replacements separately if you need to. Compared to the cost of salon appointments, if you’re already a lash-extensions regular then you could actually end up saving money in the long run.
Best-selling false eyelashes
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- Improved Style
- Long, Angled Lash with a twisty, Messed Up Finish
- 【2019 NEWEST EYELASHES】3D false lashes are made of ultra-light synthetic fibers, just as soft as your natural lashes. A daily necessary item for false eyelashes lover. Add a perfect addition to...
- 【5 PAIRS & FOR MORE OCCASION】We offer you 5 pairs of same false eyelashes for enough use. As Wedding, Halloween parties, Make-up parties or dating and shopping to help you create a glamorous,...
- 【FREE BONUS GIFTS】Come with an extra false eyelashes extension applicator (value ￡2.99), help you use the lashes better. Small and convenient, so you can go for travel with it.
- ♥【HAND-MADE】: Each of our 3D false lashes is Hand-made and made of ultra-light synthetic fibers, just as soft as your natural lashes. A daily necessary item for mink eyelashes lover, making your...
- ♥【SOFT MATERIAL】: Full Thick hair and thin strip line make the lashes look natural and fluffy. These false eyelashes are soft and comfortable to wear, just as light as feathers and do not feel...
- ♥【PACKAGE】: Each box contains 4 different styles of eyelashes.No matter which makeup style you want, such as sweet, sexy, smokey,funny and beautiful, it meets your need. You will be the focus of...
- ❤ PREMIUM BLACK FULL EYELASHES: Looking for an eyelash that’s waterproof and stick all day and night? This is it! These natural lashes are handmade with premium-grade lashes that hold into place,...
- ❤ EYE-CATCHING & GLAMOROUS FAKE LASHES: To all women out there who’s is beauty and makeup enthusiast, get an instant charm when using these natural and thick lashes. Surprise your boyfriend or...
- ❤ DESIGNED TO EVERY EYE SHAPES: Our black eyelashes are perfect for any woman's eye shape, either small, big, round eyes, etc. Our false natural lashes are designed with a band that connects the...
- HIGH QUALITY & HAND-MADE LASHES:JEEZ 3D false lashes are Hand-made and made of ultra-light synthetic fibers, as soft and fluffy as your lashes, Vivid and shiny and long lifespan,make your eyes bright...
- Dramatic Look: Suitable for professional application like Wedding Event & Photo shoot & dating night or a girls night & graduation & birthday party.
- Easy to Apply And Remove：Easy To Install with thick flexible band,hypoallergenic,no harm to your eyes.Use eyelash adhesive on the band,then install the eyelashes to your own human lashes
- Natural, charming, daily and dramatic are included in 4 styles lashes, that are perfect for working, shopping, date, party and night-out. It is also cost-effective.
- Lashes are all handmade by fine synthetic fiber to ensure high quality of eyelashes, so can be reused for a few times with proper care.
- Lash bands are flexible yet sturdy to make it easier to apply eyelashes and clean, and give you all-day comfort.
Last update on 2021-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API