Whether it’s to create the classic cat’s eyes look or to help eyes pop by boosting the lash line, liquid or pencil eyeliner is a must in every makeup artist’s tool box.
“Liquid liner is great to create a clean and defined eye and is never far from the catwalks every season, however many women avoid this look,” says make-up artist Francesca Neil.
That’s because the shape of your eye can greatly affect what type of eyeliner suits you.
Get it right, and you’ll really enhance your eyes – get it wrong and you risk making them look smaller, which nobody wants.
So what’s the best approach for your peepers?
Best eyeliner looks for your eye shape
Here, Neil sets out the best kind of eyeliner for each eye shape…
If you’ve got close-set eyes, Neil recommends a double wing look.
“This is a really fun look to play with for a night out! A winged end will draw attention towards the outer edge of the eye, making them appear wider apart. Double the wing? Double the effect…”
“Those with downturned eyes can find winged eyeliner really frustrating,” Neil says. “If you stick with a regular cat-eye shape, this could exaggerate the downward shape.”
“The easiest technique for lifting the eye is to stick to applying liner to the lower lash line. Follow the natural line and extend the mini-flick directly up.”
“The thick winged look is perfect for hooded eyes as it will lift and open them,” Neil recommends.
“Draw a line from the corner of your eye towards the brow bone and join up before using a kohl pencil across the outer lower lash line to create a perfectly lifted wing effect.”
Large or round eyes
If you’re blessed with Bambi-like eyes, use an eye pencil on the waterline rather than a liquid liner on your lids.
Neil says: “This is a great look for large eyes as tracing the waterline will accentuate the shape of the eye, it is also a good option if your eyes are wide set as it will draw attention towards the inner corner.”
Smaller or monolid eyes
“You really just need a very simple line to enhance the shape. You don’t want anything too heavy otherwise you could risk your eyes looking smaller,” Neil says, recommending a fine wing on the lids.
“Drag the eyeliner straight across the lid and extended the line out to roughly the end of your brow.
“Adding a little drama such as metallic or glitter to the top eye line only is a great way to open them up and draw attention to the top lashes. Apply over black liquid liner or pencil to complete this look for smaller eyes.
“To intensify, curl lashes and coat the top lashes with plenty of mascara or false lashes.”
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- Exclusive felt tip. Never dries. Never skips
- Ultra-thin 0.4 mm brush supplies smooth, even lines
- Experience the new generation of liquid liner
- Intense colour, easy application
- Soft and blendable formula for an easy Smokey look
- Smudge-proof long wear formula up to 12 hours wear
- Soft creamy texture in a retractable pencil with built-in smudger for subtle blending and sharpener for high precision line
- Waterproof formula for up to 10 hours long-lasting wear
- Choose your shade from creamy matte to high metallic; all highly pigmented in intense and vivid hue
- Highly-pigmented liquid formula with a flattering glossy black finish
- Easy application to create precise lines and vivid looks with just a smooth touch
- Smudge-proof, flake-proof, smear-proof and run-proof features for long-lasting effect
Last update on 2021-07-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
You may also be interested in…Wise Living Magazine may receive a small commission to help support the running of this site from purchases made from links on this page, or some links may have been sponsored to be included in the article. Affiliate or sponsored links do not influence our editorial or articles published by Wise Living.