The trend for full-looking lips continues to be a big beauty priority for many women despite the use of face masks in the current pandemic. Yet the search for plumper lips isn’t a recent phenomenon.
“Plumping is something that has been around for a long time and will never disappear, says Daniel Smythe, education manager at Buxom.
“Our skin and our lips will always look healthier and younger when plump, because our lips thin with age, so this is a concern to many people.”
This concern has led to lip augmentation becoming one of the most popular non-surgical cosmetic treatment in recent years. This involves injecting fillers – usually comprising hyaluronic acid – which plump the natural tissues and remain in the skin for anything from 6 to 18 months before they break down naturally.
But what if you don’t want to have hyaluronic acid injected into the most sensitive part of your face? The good news is, there are other options if you want to get a mouth like Megan’s.
6 non-cosmetic ways to get plumper lips
From make-up tricks to treatments and gadgets, here are six ways to boost your pout without the need for needles…
“Glossy formulas are always a quick win for achieving instantly fuller, plumper lips,” says Smythe, adding that it’s important to line your lips first.
“Use a lip liner in a shade close to, or one shade deeper than your natural lip colour. Line the lip line, and slightly over, drawing around the Cupid’s bow, which is the perfect way to achieve optimal fullness.
“Blend the edges slightly and finish the look with one our new Va-Va-Plump Shiny Liquid Lipsticks, which offer saturated coverage, combined with a unique lip plumping peptide and hyaluronic acid formula.”
Buxom PlumpLine Lip Liner in Cloak & Dagger, £13.50 The Fragrance Shop
Buxom Va-Va-Plump Shiny Liquid Lipstick in Boldly Go,
2. Lip contouring
“I swear by lip contouring and it is actually super simple!” says beauty blogger and entrepreneur, Huda Kattan. “All you need is your favourite lipstick and a matching lip liner, and a slightly paler shade of lipstick.
“I like to start by putting foundation all over my lips to create a blank canvas, so I can create the desired outline for my lips. Then, using a lip contour pencil, I draw an ‘X’ at the cupid’s bow and outline the lips, being careful not to go too far outside the natural lip line.
“I sometimes draw a vertical line through the centre of my top and bottom lip as this adds even more dimension. I always fill the lips with liner and then I apply my lipstick over top.
“The final step is to ‘highlight’ my lips using a lipstick in a paler shade. I dab it onto the centre of lips and blend out with my finger which really helps to create the illusion of a fuller pout.”
Huda Beauty Lip Contour, available from Amazon
Huda Beauty Demi Matte Cream Lipstick, available from Amazon
Hourglass Panoramic Long Wear Lip Pencil in Empress, £27, Cult Beauty
Clinique Dramatically Different Lipstick in Canoodle, available from Amazon
3. Plumping products
Injectables may be a step too far, but it is possible to deliver lip-enhancing ingredients without a syringe.
The loss of collagen (which starts from around the late-20s) is what causes our lips to look thinner as we get older, so look for products that contain peptides which promote collagen production, and hyaluronic acid, which can hold up to 1,000 times its own weight in water.
Algenist Genius Liquid Collagen Lip, available from Amazon
Similar to serums, lip-shaped masks can deliver a major dose of moisture and plumping ingredients.
Ideal for using before a party or event, pop one on for five minutes and you’ll be amazed how much bigger your lips look when you take it off.
You may have heard of microneedling as a technique used to enhance the effects of skincare serums, but did you know you can do it on your lips too?
The GloPro Lip Edition is an at-home device that uses teeny tiny pinpricks to create ‘microchannels’ on your lips.
Roll the head over your lips for one minute, two to three times a week, and immediately after apply a lip serum, which will penetrate deeper than it usually would, boosting the plumping effect.
Beauty Bioscience GloPro Lip Edition Microneedling Regeneration Tool, £249, Selfridges
Another method originally used for wrinkle reduction, microcurrent treatments deliver a mild electrical current to trigger an increase in collagen production.
The CACI Lip Treatment combines a microcurrent ‘Wrinkle Comb’ and red LED light therapy, with six to eight sessions recommended to see the full effects.
I tried the treatment and could already see a difference on my top lip after one go, but the zapping sensation was stronger than I’d expected (especially compared to a microcurrent facial, which I’ve had before), so if you’re a wuss like me, be warned that it might sting a bit.
Best-selling lip plumping products
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- Instantly Plumps Up Your Lips
- Hydrates Lip Texture
- Formulated with volulip
- Pleasant cooling sensation for a gentle plumping effect
- Cushiony soft formula with a creamy shine finish
- Safety information: This product contains Capscacin (chilli powder) and cinnamon essence that increase lip volume & plumpness. This will cause a spicy tingling, cooling feeling on the lips. This is...
- Clinically approved: vegan and cruelty free, alternative to lip fillers: full looking lips without expensive & invasive surgical procedures. Created by doctors.
- Shiny without being sticky: tired of cheap sticky lip gloss that smears onto your face and hair? Our thick non-sticky formula gives you glossy full lips for upto 3 hours.
- 【Exclusive Formula Gloss Enhancer that really works】 - A concentrate of black bean sprouts, Isoflacones are rich in active phytoestrogenic ingredients. Isoflavones promote collagen synthesis....
- 【Hydrating Lips Texture】 - Supple, silky and supple as air. Make yourself comfortable. Make your lips beautiful and maintain the lips the look of fuller lips.
- 【Smooth Lip Wrinkles Lip Serum】 - Anti-aging formula with collagen and elastin makes the lips exquisite and radiant. Fills wrinkles and lip lines and promotes youthfulness. Get your passionate...
- This plumping balm restores lip fullness for a voluptuous, bee-stung look and refined lip contours.
- Berries are one of nature's great sources of vitamins
- How to use: Apply evenly to lips as necessary, use twice daily.
Last update on 2021-04-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
You may also be interested in…
Wise Living Magazine may receive a small commission to help support the running of this site from purchases made from links on this page, or some links may have been sponsored to be included in the article. Affiliate or sponsored links do not influence our editorial or articles published by Wise Living.