There’s so much choice in the beauty world, it can get overwhelming, especially when it comes to Afro hair.
“Afro hair can be dryer than other hair types,” explains trichologist Stephanie Sey. “The curl in the hair can make it difficult for natural oils to be distributed down the hair shaft. Afro hair is also a little more delicate, as the bend and twists in the hair strand can cause points of weakness, and these same bends and twists can also cause single-strand knots. Finally, a tight, curly texture means that it doesn’t reflect light in the same way as straighter textures, so the hair appears not to shine.”
To combat this, you might want to make more effort to ensure your hair is properly nourished. You don’t have to pump your hair full of chemicals to keep it shiny and healthy; there are plenty of natural ingredients which will work wonders.
Natural products for Afro hair
Many of these help all hair types, but they’re particularly well-suited to the needs of Afro hair, strengthening the strands whilst adding shine and moisture…
1. Coconut oil
There’s a scientific reason why coconut oil is well loved: “Coconut oil has very small molecules which can penetrate deeper into the hair than other oils, so rather than acting merely on the surface, the effects of the oil are longer lasting,” explains Sey.
“Additionally, coconut oil is slightly positively charged. The reason this is important is because weathered and damaged hair is negatively charged, so these opposite charges result in the coconut oil being attracted to the hair, meaning that it will soften and protect it.”
As an added bonus, you can easily buy coconut oil from the supermarket. Use it like you would a hair mask, and let your locks soak up the moisture.
Try Coconut Merchant Organic Coconut Oil available from Amazon.
Avocados aren’t only good on toast – they contain healthy fats and nutrients which can contribute to healthy hair. “The oil that is extracted from avocado is great for its moisturising and anti-inflammatory properties,” says Sey.
The trichologist also adds: “It’s good at lubricating the hair strand, imparting shine and helping to preserve the ends of the hair.”
Luckily, avocados can easily be made into a DIY mask at home if your hair is feeling lifeless and you’re noticing more split ends. Mash it up with some other nourishing ingredients – like coconut oil, olive oil or yoghurt – and apply to your locks after shampooing, as you would a normal mask. Just don’t forget to wash it off afterwards, and use any leftover avocado for breakfast the next morning.
3. Almond oil
Not only does almond oil smell delightful, but there are plenty of reasons it should be added to your haircare routine.
“It contains zinc and vitamin A, and is one of the best sources of vitamin E,” says Sey. This is particularly important, because vitamin E is a natural antioxidant, so can combat free radicals (unstable molecules) and oxidative stress – which can “damage the cells in the hair follicles”.
Try Naissance Sweet Almond Oil, available from Amazon.
4. Aloe vera
Aloe vera is an excellent ingredient in all its forms – gel, hydrosol or juice, notes Sey. It is a humectant, which means it retains moisture, so is perfect for keeping hair moisturised.
If your head is feeling a bit tender from tight braids or chemical treatments, aloe vera is a great choice. “It is an anti-inflammatory, so is soothing to the scalp,” explains Sey. “It also has a pH of about 5, which is excellent for scalp health, as well as smoothing the hair shaft.”
Try Seven Mineral’s Organic Aloe Vera Gel, available from Amazon.
5. Jojoba oil
Fun fact: jojoba is pronounced ‘hohoba’. “It’s actually a wax, which is liquid at room temperature,” says Sey, and it’s beneficial because “its composition is very similar to scalp sebum”.
A lot of products can weigh down your hair and suck the life out of it, but this isn’t the case with jojoba oil – which Sey says “isn’t greasy and is really good at sealing moisture into the hair”.
Either look for products containing jojoba, or buy the oil from a health store and use as a serum after you’ve washed your hair.
Try Naissance Cold Pressed Golden Jojoba Oil, available from Amazon.
You may also be interested in…
Best-selling afro hair products for natural hair
Stuck for inspiration? Check out our list of best-selling Amazon products!
- 🎁[Get 3 Pcs Hair Brush Set]---: Hair detangling brush, scalp massage shampoo brush, and Hair Edge Brush Double Sided Control Hair Brush Comb.This hair brush set include most styles of brush to meet...
- 🎁[Ergonomically Design]---:Designed with a non-slip and comfortable rubber grip.The detanglinn brush can help easily detangle matted hair, good for afro America 3a to 4c kinky wavy, curly, coily...
- 🎁[Relax Yourself]---:This gentle scalp massager hair shampoo brush is perfect for exfoliation and deep-scalp treatments. Deeply pamper your scalp in the shower or before bed . It's lightweight, and...
- ►DETANGLE EASILY: Flexible head with separate bristles, easily detangle curly, wavy, kinky or normal hair-without damage.
- ► FOR WHO: If you have normal tangle or super curly 3a to 4c African American hair, this is the detangling brush for you.
- ► WET & DRY: Shower with your hair soaking wet and with conditioner. Cut down your detangling time with better results.
- Revolutionary Detangling Brush: A revolutionary hairbrush for 3a to 4c wavy, curly, coily hair. Flexible head with 8 rows of separate end-rounded bristles massage scalp gently and grip hair to define...
- Four Benefits of Hollow-carved Design: 1.It’s made of improved ABS resin material which is lightweight but robust, so it won’t cause arm fatigue. 2.The curved comb body fits the scalp perfectly...
- Adjustable Size Hairbrush: a detachable control bar makes this detangling brush either flexible or rigid depending on your hair type. Insert the bar into the lower slot to maximize the width of the...
- ► Original Detangler Brush: a revolutionary easy detangling brush for black natural hair, faster n easier detangle wet or dry curly kinky coily wavy 3/4abc texture.
- ► Unique Design: 8 flexible free comb arms with a control bar. That's the key to make the detangler brush 70% less detangling time while 80% less damage.
- ► Usage: Go in vertically to release the tangles and then smooth and define the hair horizontally. Comb arms firmer if works with the control bar.
- Hair Material: 100% High Temperature Heat Resistant Synthetic Fiber and the texture like real human hair feeling and net inside is breathable and adjustable
- Mutiple Colors available: 1B, 2#, 4#, 118#, T30#, TBUG, 1B/Silver Grey, T27#, 1B/33
- Ponytail: Synthetic. Short length. Curly style. Average cap size ,with 2 clips
Last update on 2021-04-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Wise Living Magazine may receive a small commission to help support the running of this site from purchases made from links on this page, or some links may have been sponsored to be included in the article. Affiliate or sponsored links do not influence our editorial or articles published by Wise Living.